Pali Word by Word 2003/07 [001]

  • Ong Yong Peng <ypong001@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 251 , Feb 16, 2003

      I shall follow through the list prepared by Andy, and the first word
      on the list is 'ca', a word usually translated as 'and'. After
      studying PED and Introduction to Pali, I have gathered a list
      of 'phrases' that contain 'ca' but have different meanings.

      ca: and
      api ca: nevertheless
      ca pana: moreover
      tada ca: now then, and then
      so ca: whoever
      yo ca: but who
      yada ca: but when
      na ca (affirmative): but not
      na ca (interrogative): if not

      Please correct me if I am wrong, and please add to the list and share
      with the group if you know more.

      I have picked five sentences from Digha Nikaya (CSCD) for
      translation. I include the sutta title and the paragraph number the
      sentence comes from. I have to highlight a point that myself have
      overlooked: the paragraph number runs continuously for each of the
      three divisions of Digha Nikaya, not individual suttas.

      There are many words that I do not know, please help.

      DN1 Brahmajala Sutta Para.1
      Eva.m me suta.m - eka.m samaya.m bhagavaa
      thus / I / heard / one / time / the Blessed One
      Thus have I heard, at one time, the Blessed One,

      antaraa ca raajagaha.m antaraa ca na.landa.m
      in between / and / Rajagaha / in between / and / Nalanda
      between Rajagaha and Nalanda,

      addhaanamagga-ppa.tipanno hoti mahataa bhikkhusa"nghena
      high road-going along / is / great / congregation of monks
      is going along the high road with a great congregation of monks,

      saddhi.m pa~ncamattehi bhikkhusatehi.
      with / five times of / one hundred monks.
      with five hundred monks.

      DN1 Brahmajala Sutta Para.68
      Sa~n~nuppaadaa ca pana te devaa tamhaa kaayaa cavanti.
      ??? / and / fallen / they / devas / from it / bodies / fall away

      DN15 Mahanidana Sutta Para.119
      Kittaavataa ca, Aananda, attaana.m na pa~n~napento na pa~n~napeti?
      to what extent / and / Ananda / without protection / not / ??? /
      not / declares

      DN24 Pathika Sutta Para.7
      Api ca, tuyheveta.m paapaka.m di.t.thigata.m uppanna.m, ta.m pajaha.
      nevertheless / ??? / wicked / ??? / born / you / who renounce

      DN33 Sangiti Sutta Para.342
      So ca hoti duppa~n~no ja.lo e.lamuugo, nappa.tibalo
      whoever / is / ??? / ??? / ??? / ???

      subhaasitadubbhaasitaanamatthama~n~naatu.m.
      ???

      Again, please also correct me if there is any mistake.

      metta,
      Yong Peng
      Message 251 of 251 , Mar 31, 2004
        Dear Nina and friends,

        thanks for that, Nina.

        metta,
        Yong Peng

        > would you tell us roughly what the comparison is about? Thanks
        again.
        > what in comparison, lord, can these five hundred carts do... etc.
        > Wheel 67-69: What, O lord, are five hundred carts- nay six, seven...
        > etc...compared with this?
        N:
        28: Now what think you Pukusa, which is the more difficult thing to
        do or to meet with - that a man, being conscious and awake, should
        neither see , nor hear the sound of five hundred cars passing by...or
        that a man, being conscious and awake, should neither see, nor hear
        the sound thereof when the falling rain goes on beating splashing,
        and the lightnings are flashing forth, and the thunderbolts are
        crashing?

        We read, <Then, Pukkusa, the thought occurred to that man:- "How
        wonderful a thing it is, and marvellous, that those who have gone
        forth out of the world should pass their time in a state of mind so
        calm!-...">

        Thus, it is more difficult not to hear the sound of rain and thunder,
        but this occurs when a high degree of calm is reached.