Re: Mass of Fire Simile, 5th sentence

  • Derek Cameron
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2001
      > "Ta.m ki.m maññatha, bhikkhave, katama.m nu kho vara.m – ya.m
      > amu.m mahanta.m aggikkhandha.m aaditta.m sampajjalita.m
      > sajotibhuuta.m aali'ngetvaa upanisiideyya vaa upanipajjeyya vaa,
      > ya.m vaa khattiyakañña.m vaa braahma.nakañña.m vaa
      gahapatikañña.m
      > vaa mudutalunahatthapaada.m aali'ngetvaa upanisiideyya vaa
      upanipajjeyya
      > vaa"ti?

      Something like this:

      What do you think, monks? Which is better? Having embraced that
      large, burning, blazing, glowing mass of fire, to sit or lie down
      with it? Or, having embraced a noblewoman, or a woman of high birth,
      or a householder woman, or a woman of tender young hands and feet, to
      sit or lie down with her?

      Derek.
    • Dimitry Ivakhnenko
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2001
        >> "Ta.m ki.m maññatha, bhikkhave, katama.m nu kho vara.m – ya.m
        >> amu.m mahanta.m aggikkhandha.m aaditta.m sampajjalita.m
        >> sajotibhuuta.m aali'ngetvaa upanisiideyya vaa upanipajjeyya vaa,
        >> ya.m vaa khattiyakañña.m vaa braahma.nakañña.m vaa gahapatikañña.m
        >> vaa mudutalunahatthapaada.m aali'ngetvaa upanisiideyya vaa upanipajjeyya
        >> vaa"ti?

        DC> Something like this:

        DC> What do you think, monks? Which is better? Having embraced that
        DC> large, burning, blazing, glowing mass of fire, to sit or lie down
        DC> with it? Or, having embraced a noblewoman, or a woman of high birth,
        DC> or a householder woman, or a woman of tender young hands and feet, to
        DC> sit or lie down with her?

        Maybe 'to sit or lie down close to'
        'to sit or lie down near'

        Also I would preserve 'khattiya' and 'braahma.na', with footnotes
        provided.

        'vaa' is used after the enumerated item, so 'of tender young hands and
        feet' probably refers to all three types of maidens.

        'kaññaa' = a young (unmarried) woman, maiden, girl.

        Dimitry