Re: [Pali] Re: Pali glossary & phraseology

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 10 7:01 AM

      I only included only the English translation of common stock phrases which I
      use to drag and drop when they recur.

      As regard Bible Studies method, a few scholars have voiced that many of the
      methods used by biblical scholars and other scholars of early literature
      could be use for the Buddhist texts. There is also a new area of academic
      approach to the Buddhist texts, that is as "critical literature" (I can't
      remember what the exact term is).

      One example is a paper presented by a Canadian friend of mine, Joel
      Tatelman, that is a translation of the Pur.naavadaana:

      The Glorious Deeds of Purna : A Translation and Study of the
      Purnavadana/Joel Tatelman. Reprint. Delhi, Motilal Banarsidass, 2001, xii,
      228 p., ISBN 81-208-1807-5.
      "The avadana literature is the largest corpus of Sanskrit Buddhist texts
      available to us. By providing an annotated translation of, and applying the
      methods of literary criticism to, a first century account of the life of the
      saint Purna, the present study introduces the reader to the richness and
      complexity of a genre which has played an essential role in Buddhist
      self-understanding for over two thousand years." (jacket)

      Sukhi.

      P.