Re: [Pali] Pali Conventions

  • nina van gorkom
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
      Dear Piya Tan,
      I was really touched by your sympathetic letter and your kind words of
      encouragement. I appreciate it so much to hear your personal views,
      expressed with great sincerity, on your own work and on the aim of
      translation work. You gave me many thoughts for reflection. Thank you very
      much.
      I felt piiti and pamoda when reading your text of the Garava sutta, the
      Buddha paying respect to the Dhamma he had realized. He proclaimed that even
      he, himself, could not cause anybody to attain enlightenment and become
      liberated from dukkha. The Dhamma is our teacher, it teaches us to develop
      our own understanding. It helps us to find our own answers. No need to
      think, this person says... the scriptures state... Of course, I am not
      denying the immense help of the Tipitaka.
      Elaborating somewhat on your allegory: the humanities student and the pure
      science student. Very gradually the humanities student comes to see that
      what he took for somewhat dry, abstract science is much more than that: it
      has a great, direct impact on his daily life. It is in him, around him, it
      teaches him about himself and gives him counsel in his actions, speech and
      thoughts. Whatever text he reads, he finds that it is all there, but at
      first he could not see it.
      The meditation on impermanence and death, how helpful. I was delighted to
      read in the subcommentary to the satip.t.thaana sutta about four meditation
      subjects on all occasions: sabbatthikakamma.t.thaananti
      buddhaanussati mettaa mara.nassati asubhabhaavanaa ca.
      Concluding with self-effacement: I see the benefit of it, but it is a
      life-long process, and longer than than that, so long as we are putthujjana
      and thus full of kilesa. The Abhidhamma teaches me honesty, letting go of
      illusions about ourselves. It points out fine nuances of more subtle kilesa
      and their conditions, especially many details on conditions, to show us:
      anattaa. I think of the second book: the Vibha'nga containing many examples
      of defilements we all have, very daily. But of course we also find those in
      Suttanta and Vinaya.
      I enjoy it very much to concentrate on Pali texts here, the reading and
      translating helps me to get to the deep meaning. Writing it out is even
      better than just reading. At the same time, when I get very engrossed I have
      to remind myself of the goal : to understand the reality at this moment.
      What is the use if we do not understand citta now? In the Commentaries I
      always come across things that surprise me, that cannot but have a great
      impact upon me.
      By the way, I do not want to miss the Day by Day, very restful before going
      to sleep, after sometimes difficult and overwhelming (in number) posts. I
      skipped always English Pali, but it is a good check. I put my hand on the
      screen to check.
      I always greatly respect my language teachers, they give me something
      precious. There are many kind and patient teachers here on this list.
      Therefore, I wish to express my great appreciation of all the good works
      done by you, Yong Peng, John and others.
      Anumodana,
      Nina.
      P.S. I tried to reach your files, but I have an IMac and this must be the
      trouble. Even adobe acrobat did not want to convert. One piece I got only
      had funny signs. Is it possible to give us on Email here on the list an
      extract of it? My computer may not react kindly to an attachment.

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003

        I wonder if the problem your computer (an iMac) is facing has to do with the
        Pali fonts. If that is the case, you have to install the Times Norman fonts
        in your C:\Windows\Fonts. Since you have difficulty regarding digital
        attachments, I am not sending you this file: "Norman.sea" (which is the
        Times Norman fonts for iMac).

        It is available from the fonts sections of this great site by John Bullitt:

        http://www.accesstoinsight.org/pali/

        Nina, I'm not sure which files from www.dharma.per.sg you need. Please let
        me know and I will email them to you.

        Sukhi.

        P.

      • Ong Yong Peng <ypong001@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003

          thanks for your kind words. You are always so gracious and elegant in
          your speech.

          As you are using an iMac, you will have difficulty reading files
          created for use on a PC, such as Microsoft Word. However, there
          shouldn't be any problem to read a pdf file with Adobe Acrobat
          Reader. In fact, Adobe is one of the few software companies that
          enter the industry targeting Mac users first, then PC users.

          metta,
          Yong Peng