Re: [Pali] Re: MN 62: Mahaaraahulovaada sutta.m

  • nina van gorkom
    Message 1 of 70 , Feb 1 10:04 AM
      just a note on why Sariputta explained to him
      aanaapaanasati. This is also explained in the Co, but I have not come to
      that yet, I am very slow at reading. But Sariputta came afterwards, saw
      Rahula sitting in the lotus posture and thought that anapanasati was very
      suitable for him. The Co. explains more about this. As far as I understood
      it was not the same reason as why the Buddha explained the meditation on
      rupa. I want to study these details first, it is fascinating.
      Nina
      op 31-01-2003 06:15 schreef Ong Yong Peng <ypong001@...> op
      ypong001@...:

      Message 70 of 70 , Mar 16, 2003
        Dear Nina and friends,

        thanks a lot for your help, Nina. I have done the compilation and it
        is now available here:
        http://www.tipitaka.net/tipitaka/strans/stransload.php?page=mn062s04

        metta,
        Yong Peng

        > > For "tejo", would you say that "fire" is a better word
        that "heat" as Buddhadatta explains tejodhaatu as the element of heat?
        > N: The element of fire represents the characteristic of heat,
        manifesting itself as heat or cold. Cold: a matter of degree of this
        element. It is experienced through the bodysense, also the internal
        heat. Rahula had to know both the internal and external heat, so that
        he would know: internal or external, it is the same, just an element,
        and this would help him to be less attached to attabhaava, the body.
        > Since Fire is more symbolic, I am inclined to the word heat or
        temperature.
        > But temperature may be controversial.
        >
        > > Y: Do you think that we can make use of parenthesis in this case
        to give the exploded meaning of the Pali term, such as whereby (one)
        is heated, and whereby (one) is digested (, aged and consumed)
        > N: one is not digested, but the food, that what is eaten, is
        digested. The food is consumed. But the body is aging by the element
        of heat. Thus, this way may not be so satisfactory.