Re: [Pali] Re: bhuupaalo (Pali Day by Day 01/30/2003 [A001])

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 1247 , Feb 1, 2003
      Dear Yong Peng and friends,
      It is true that the word bhuupaalo is very uncommon in
      the canon. Clearly Lily de Silva, author of "Pali
      Primer" chose it over maore common words for king,
      because it is a regular masculine -a stem noun, which
      the others aren't.

      I think the Pali Primer is an excellent starting book
      for people very new to Pali. Its two biggest
      limitations are that it doesn't use texts from the
      canon in its exercises and that its explanations for
      more complex grammatical material in the latter half
      of the book is very superficial. However, its great
      strength is that it is very unintimidating to the
      beginner because it introduces material very gently -
      the first 8 chapters just cover the 8 case declensions
      of the masculine -a stem nouns, one at a time!

      I found the book very useful as a starting point to
      going onto a more advanced (and more interesting)
      book, and as this list knows, I have been diligently
      working through all the material in the
      Gair-Karunatillake "New Course in Reading Pali", and
      posting my answers to the group. Having almost
      finished with that, I now feel ready to tackle
      Warder's "Introduction to Pali".

      Keep up the good work, Yong Peng. The beauty of a
      list like this is that we have mutiple threads for
      different levels of experience and interest.

      John
      --- "Ong Yong Peng <ypong001@...>"

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Dhivan Thomas Jones