Commentary to the Greater Discourse to Rahula, M, sutta 62., no 2.

  • nina van gorkom
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2003
      Commentary to the Greater Discourse to Rahula, M, sutta 62., no 2.
      The relevant sutta passage:
      <Thus have I heard. At one time the Blessed One stayed in the garden
      of Anathapindika, in Jeta's forest, near Savatthi. Then, when it was
      morning, the Blessed One, having dressed and taken his robe and bowl,
      entered Saavatthi for alms. Venerable Raahula too, when it was
      morning, having dressed and taken his robe and bowl, followed the
      Blessed One closely from behind. And then the Blessed one, looking
      back towards Rahula, addressed him:

      "Rahula, whatever form, - past, future or present, internal or
      external, gross or subtle, base or exalted, whether it is far or
      near, - all form should be seen as it really is with right wisdom in
      such a way: "This is not mine, I am not this, this is not me".

      "Form only, Blessed One? Form only, Sugata [the Well-gone]>

      Commentary:
      We read that the Buddha considered that he should not neglect Rahula, that
      he should urge him so that his defilements would not ruin the jewel of his
      síla. The Buddha turned back with the "great elephant's look" (with his
      whole body), such as Buddhas always do. Ananda referred to "Lucky Rahula"
      (Raahula baddha)[1] when he said, "Atha kho Bhagavaa apaloketvaa" [N:as in
      the sutta], "then the Buddha, after he had looked back... " At that time
      the Buddha turned around in that way.
      We read further on in the Commentary:<As to the words, ya.m ki~nci ruupa.m,
      whatever are ruupas (material phenomena), this is explained in detail in the
      Visuddhimagga, khandha niddesa. As to the words, n'eta.m mama, this is not
      myself, this has been explained in the "Greater Discourse on the Elephant's
      Footprint" (M 28).
      Therefore Rahula asked, " ruupa.m eva nu kho Bhagavaa, only materiality,
      Lord? To Rahula occurred the methods of teaching (naya), because he heard,
      materiality is not mine, this am I not, this is not myself. The Buddha said,
      you ought to see all material phenomena with insight wisdom (vipassanaa
      pa~n~naa). How should he practise with regard to feelings etc.? Since Rahula
      was established in this method (of teaching) he asked that question. Rahula
      was clever in the methods of teaching. When the Buddha said, "one should not
      act like this", he realized even a hundred or a thousand methods, of "one
      should act like this, one should not act like that". And even so, when the
      Buddha said, "one should act like this", he considered in that way according
      to many methods.>
      [1] Note: Rahula was called "lucky", baddha, because he was the Buddha's son
      and he attained arahatship.
      Nina