Pali Stress

  • Viktoro <vixcafe@yahoo.ca>
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2003
      Hello,

      I have read in a big, fat book about Pali that "the distinction in
      quantity (short and long vowels or syllables) is very important in
      Pali, but distinctions of stress are insignificant." Then I read in
      other sources that stress is Sanskritic (and, therefore, like Latin)
      in Pali. Does Pali, more or less, have even stress like Japanese,
      or is it at least weakly stressed? What is the quality of stress?
      Is Latin or Sanskrit a good model for Pali stress? Could anyone
      give the rules if any?

      Metta,
      --Viktoro