Re: Twofold dhammapada question

  • Derek Cameron <derekacameron@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 25, 2003
      Hi, Stefan,

      > Dhammapada 33 verse 1 says:
      > 'anava.t.thitacitassa saddhamma.m avijAnato
      > pariplavapasAdassa pa^n^nA na paripUrati'

      In my text it's listed as verse 38.

      > 1) is it implied in this verse that knowing, in the sense 'being
      > aware of (the existence of) the good dhamma, already serves as
      > a means towards wisdom? In other words, 'I know there is a
      > dhamma, so my mind is calmed'?

      I would take "saddhama.m avijaanato" to mean "for one who does not
      *understand* the true teaching." In other words, the knowing is in
      the sense of comprehending, and not in the sense of being aware of
      the existence of. Wisdom (pa~n~naa) does not become full (na
      paripuurati), for one who does not understand (avijaanato) the true
      teaching (saddhamma.m).

      > 2) a) does 'suddhamma.m' refer to 'a constituent of reality' or
      > to 'the good teaching'?

      I take sadhamma.m to mean "true teaching," "true Dhamma."

      > b) if it refers to the teaching than my first question arises:
      > is merely being aware of the existence of the teaching a
      > means towards enlightenment?

      No -- I think it's saying that your wisdom will not become full
      unless you first understand the true Dhamma. It's not talking about
      merely being aware of the existence of it.