On Brackets and Parentheses

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2003
      On Parentheses and Brackets

      29. Being disenchanted, (his lust) fades away. Through fading away of lust
      [that is, dispassion], (his mind) is liberated.
      (Alagadduupama Sutta, M 1:139/22.29)

      Some scholars, I'm sure, has already worked this convention out,
      but let me repeat this for our mutual benefit. I've adopted the following
      convention in my translations:

      (Parentheses) denote an amplification, that is, additional information to
      clarify the word or phrase it is attached to.

      [Brackets] or square brackets denote an inherent or necessary part of a
      word, phrase or sentence that gives it a complete sense.

      These are illustrated in the quote above.

      Sukhi.

      P.

      030116