Mahà Niddesa

  • tharpachozang
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 6, 2014
      Has the Mahà Niddesa been translated into English in its entirety?  I had long been under the impression that the entire Tipitika has been translated into English by PTS (with the exception of a couple of volumes of the Khuddaka which had not been translated separately from their commentary), but it appears that the Mahà Niddesa has not been.  Has anyone else translated the Mahà Niddesa?
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 8, 2014
        Dear friend,

        Op 7 mrt 2014, om 02:05 heeft <o1dzwtt02@...> het volgende geschreven:

        Has the Mahà Niddesa been translated into English in its entirety?
        ------
        No, I have it in Thai, in 2 volumes. It is an important work. Actually it elaborates on verses of the sutta nipata, like the beginning of the Chapter of the Eights, sensual pleasures, kaamasutta, the Cave, Guha.t.thaka, the Purified, Suddha.t.thaka, Old Age, etc.
        -----
        Nina.

      • Gunnar Gällmo
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 8, 2014
          Part of it is here:

          http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/nm/

          Gunnar

          http://stores.lulu.com/gunnargallmo
          http://metrobloggen.se/esperanto
          http://gunnargallmo.hubpages.com
          http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100000660393622

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 9, 2014
            Thank you, Nina.
          • tharpachozang
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 9, 2014
              Thank you, Gunnar, but I am not really interested in translations of parts of it.  I have been reading translations of the Sutta-Pitaka since the 1980's at the rate of about one sutta a day, and this is the first time Ihat I got to a book that had not been translated.

              I also wanted to confirm something.  Over at Dhamma Wheel, some of the fine folks, even a monk, seemed to think that the Mahà Niddesa was not canonical, just commentary.  I think this is a false view, because both metta.lk and PTS have it listed as part of the Khuddaka, not as a commentary.  Can anyone out there confirm that it is part of the Sutta-Pitaka?
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 15, 2014
                Dear friend,

                Op 9 mrt 2014, om 15:19 heeft <o1dzwtt02@...> het volgende geschreven:

                 Can anyone out there confirm that it is part of the Sutta-Pitaka?
                --------
                N: Yes, that is what I understood. It is good to see that many items of the sutta nipata have been elaborated on the the Mahaaniddesa. Also the Visuddhimagga quotes from the Mahaaniddesa.