Off-group help in translating a verse from the Jatakas

  • tharpachozang
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2013
      I know very little of Pali.  Chiefly I use the DPR to help me when I have a question regarding a translation.

      When most people speak of the Jatakas, they're referring primarily to the Jataka commentaries.  When I speak of the Jatakas, I'm referring to the verses, usually cryptic, which are the only actual parts of the Jatakas in the Sutta-Pitaka.  I say Jataka commentaries when I mean the Jataka commentaries.

      I am trying to translate a particular sutta from the Jatakas to see if Chalmers got it right.  I am looking at the Pali and the DPR and it is clear that it is beyond my capabilities.  I was wondering if there's anyone out there who would be willing to help me translate a couple of Jataka verses (without reference to the commentaries) in a private correspondence.  Not only would this help me on my question about this sutta, but it would help me in my general knowledge of Pali.