Fwd: [dsg] RE: Fwd: nibbaana and vi~n`naana.m

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 14, 2013
      Dear friends,
      Suan wrote an additional explanation to the recent post he sent me.

      Begin doorgestuurd bericht:

      In my e-mail, I wrote:

      The Pali term ‘vinnyaanam’ is formed from ‘vi’+ ‘nyaa’ + ‘yu’.

      As you know, ‘vi’ is an adverb suffix. ‘nyaa’ is a verb root called ‘dhaatu’ while ‘yu’ is a suffix to make a noun from a verb root.

      In the above paragraph, I made a spelling mistake when I wrote… ‘vi’ is an adverb suffix’. I meant to write ‘prefix’ instead of ‘suffix’.

      So, please kindly read “… ‘vi’ is an adverb prefix.”

      ‘y’ is not a visible suffix, but it is a useful linguistic token that determines a visible suffix. In the case of the term ‘vinnyaanam’, the visible or audible suffix is ‘na’.

      With regards,

      Suan Lu Zaw

    • Bryan Levman
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 14, 2013
        Nina,

        I didn't receive the first post from Suan. Can you send it again? Bryan