Re: [Pali] Buddha and the present moment.

    Message 1 of 37 , Aug 16, 2013
      This is an insightful note, bhante. I'm always ecstatic when monastics
      speak on the suttas, esp with insight.

      Pali words, as we know, are often pregnant with nuances. Often, in
      English, it takes multiple words, even sentences, to bring all of them out.
      Hence it is vital to know (as far as possible) of the context of the word
      or term.

      This is where I use an ":amplified translation" strategy (where needed) to
      try to bring out what is difficult to represent fully in English. Building
      on what Kumara has suggested, we could render the Bhaddekaratta
      Sutta quote as follows:

      "*Let one not pursue** [not dwell on] the past,*"

      Oh yes, I like "pursue" because it somewhat rhymes with "past". We should
      try our best to present our translations both in "truth and beauty."

      The best way to know early Buddhism is of course to know Pali as we know
      our own language. However, this may limit accessibility for others.
      Moreover the value and purpose of a translation is more so to convey the
      meaning (attha) of the text. Hence, we may often need to use some
      contemporary words and expressions, esp idiomatic language. This is where
      the amplified translations, footnotes, etc help to support in making the
      word or passage meaning clearer. The teacher's task is to make them
      relevant to our times and people.

      Contemporary psychotherapy (esp the cognitive behaviour therapy systems)
      heavily borrow from Buddhism and often build up their own vocabulary and
      neologisms. If these are wisely used, they help us relate to Buddhist
      teachings in a healing way where healing is needed. (I've just finished a
      comparative study of ACT and early Buddhism, SD 43.1). Modern psychology
      poses a great challenge we need to answer, too. Sujato has written a
      helpful paper on this recently.

      Otherwise, we all have our way of relating to the suttas so that we
      somehow, esp through meditation, have a progressively better understanding
      of not only what the Buddha teaches, but more importantly, what the Buddha
      means. This, in my life's evening, after over 40 years of Buddhism, I must
      say that we need to simply let go of more and more of our views as we go
      along. Not easy, but liberating.

      A good way to know that the suttas are working for us, is that we able to
      let go of our views as we go along. We just let the suttas speak for
      themselves, as it were. Those who regular meditate would notice that a clam
      and clear mind is free from views, and this is simply blissful. This is
      what the suttas ultimately point to.

      With metta and mudita,

      Piya

      --
      *hp (65) 8211 0879*

      *The Minding Centre*
      170 Upper Bukit Timah Road
      #11-04 Bukit Timah Shopping Centre
      Singapore 588179

      Sutta translation: http://dharmafarer.org

      Message 37 of 37 , Sep 17, 2013
        Dharma Friends,

        I want to address only one interesting point, that is, Stefan's remark about difficulty of watching the "present moment."

        The main difficulty here is that we are watching the "views" of the present moment, watching them as contents, rather than as process itself.
        If we watch the process, then all we see the rise and fall. (Emphasis is on "see" not "note," although this term can be helpful in its right context.)

        If we keep watching the rise and fall of the mind, then the mind should be able to calm itself in due course.

        Indeed, if we reflect on M 131, "past" and "future" are simply our views of them, We think that thought A is something about the past, thought B is about the future. These "past" and "future" are themselves concepts, not helpful here. In meditation, we need to clear the mind of all views, but gently (we cannot wish for it). Just let go. (See SD 40a.1)

        The "present" is our mental directing to whatever is going on, the passing of mental events, if you like. This is the so called "present moment awareness" (useful concept but don't get caught up with its philosophy).

        Dh 348 does not contradict M 131, but speaks in another way, reminding us that even the present moment should not be taken as a view. Let that go, too. M 131 lists the 15 wrong views, which is a sort of abridged version of the 16 doubts mentioned in M 2 (Sabbasava Sutta), etc (see Intro to SD 8.9). The 16 doubts deal with past, present and future: let go of all such thoughts in meditation.

        The 15 wrong-view method of M 131 exhorts us to let go of the past and future. For the present, we regard the 5 aggregates (one by one or as necessary) as impermanent.

        The bottom line is that we need to let go of all conceiving and thinking. Only when the mind if free from thoughts will the hindrances go away. Even if dhyana cannot be attained, the momentary stillness is itself of such profound joy. We use this to study the suttas, which are very useful in our understanding of meditation theory.

        I have two offerings, a translation of M 131 (SD 8.9) and an essay, "Notion of di.t.thi" (SD 40a.1), about letting go of views. Contact me offline if you want these files. Taste the joy of meditation, and the suttas becomes clearer. Enjoy the suttas, and meditation theory becomes easier.

        Hope this is helpful.

        With metta and mudita,

        Piya

        On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Kumara Bhikkhu <kumara.bhikkhu@...> wrote:

        Dear stefan_karpik,

        One word for now/present in Pali is
        "paccuppanna", which can be literally translated as "just occurred".

        kb

        --
        hp (65) 8211 0879

        The Minding Centre