Jataka = Birth Stories? (Re: [Pali] Re: Vimaanavatthu)

  • tharpachozang
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 12, 2013
      Thank you, Bhante, I appreciate your response. What seems to make the Jatakas different from all of the other books in the Sutta Pitaka, is that most of the verses seem to *demand* commentary. That is, the verses contain references to proper names, and so they are unintelligible by themselves. Different than say, the verses in the Dhammapada, which have tremendous Dhammic value and do not seem to require commentary. So much so, that it is difficult to read the Jataka verses systematically without knowing the background stories.

      Do you have any thoughts on what this means, why the verses in the Jatakas contain proper names and do not seem to stand by themselves, unlike all of the other books in the Sutta Pitaka?

      I appreciate the invitation to DhammaWheel. I have not checked it out yet, but one thing I like about this group is that because it has Pali in the name it seems to get a higher level of discussion than you sometimes get in other Buddhist groups.

      Mudita,

      tharpa

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 13, 2013
        Dear Arber,
        In which way can I helpyou?
        I see that the question is already attached to.
        Nina.
        Op 6-jul-2013, om 18:39 heeft a6a44357 het volgende geschreven:

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 16, 2013
          Dear Robert Arber,
          Thanks for your good question.
          Op 15 jul 2013, om 05:49 heeft a6a44357 het volgende geschreven:

          > � In reality there are no persons, no deities, only citta, cetasika and ruupa. � What does this mean please?
          ---------
          N: We believe that Robert sees, Nina sees, but in reality seeing is one moment of consciousness, citta, that sees. It sees for an extremely short moment and is then gone completely. It is the same with hearing, thinking, any moment of experience. They are all elements, arising because of conditions. They arise for a very short moment and are then gone. It seems that seeing lasts, but in reality it is succeeded by other moments of citta, such as thinking about what is seen. They are all different moments and none of them lasts.
          This is not theory. We shall have more understanding of what citta is if we are aware of seeing at this very moment. It arises because of visible object or colour and eyesense. It just sees visible object, it does not see a person or thing. There is no one there only different cittas, accompanied by different cetasikas, mental factors. Visible object and eyesense are ruupa, physical phenomena and these do not know anything. In fact our life is naama, realities which experience something, and ruupas which do not experience anything. Just elements arising because of conditions.
          Seeing is one citta and when it arises there cannot be hearing at the same time. Seeing experiences visible object. Hearing is another citta that experiences sound. It may seem that we can see and hear at the same time, but this is a delusion. Each citta can experience only one object at a time, and it falls away immediately. After it has fallen away we think of what has been seen and heard, and then we live in the world of concepts.
          When realities are taken as a mass, a collection, there is the world of many people. Cittas arise and fall away in succession very rapidly, they are like a flash. That is why we have a concept or idea of what appears as something permanent. We have to be brave in order to understand that what appears is just a reality. We need courage to let go of wrong view that clings to the idea of person or �self�. Right understanding leads to detachment, but our nature is attachment.
        • a6a44357
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 16, 2013
            Dear Nina van Gorkom
            Thank you for your kind reply, I would very much like to follow up on your
            answer is there a book you could recommend please.
            Most grateful,
            Robert Arber

            Op 15 jul 2013, om 05:49 heeft a6a44357 het volgende geschreven:

            > " In reality there are no persons, no deities, only citta, cetasika and
            ruupa. " What does this mean please?
            ---------
            N: We believe that Robert sees, Nina sees, but in reality seeing is one
            moment of consciousness, citta, that sees. It sees for an extremely short
            moment and is then gone completely. It is the same with hearing, thinking,
            any moment of experience. They are all elements, arising because of
            conditions. They arise for a very short moment and are then gone. It seems
            that seeing lasts, but in reality it is succeeded by other moments of citta,
            such as thinking about what is seen. They are all different moments and none
            of them lasts.
            This is not theory. We shall have more understanding of what citta is if we
            are aware of seeing at this very moment. It arises because of visible object
            or colour and eyesense. It just sees visible object, it does not see a
            person or thing. There is no one there only different cittas, accompanied by
            different cetasikas, mental factors. Visible object and eyesense are ruupa,
            physical phenomena and these do not know anything. In fact our life is
            naama, realities which experience something, and ruupas which do not
            experience anything. Just elements arising because of conditions.
            Seeing is one citta and when it arises there cannot be hearing at the same
            time. Seeing experiences visible object. Hearing is another citta that
            experiences sound. It may seem that we can see and hear at the same time,
            but this is a delusion. Each citta can experience only one object at a time,
            and it falls away immediately. After it has fallen away we think of what has
            been seen and heard, and then we live in the world of concepts.
            When realities are taken as a mass, a collection, there is the world of
            many people. Cittas arise and fall away in succession very rapidly, they are
            like a flash. That is why we have a concept or idea of what appears as
            something permanent. We have to be brave in order to understand that what
            appears is just a reality. We need courage to let go of wrong view that
            clings to the idea of person or "self". Right understanding leads to
            detachment, but our nature is attachment.

          • Kumara Bhikkhu
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 26, 2013
              I get what you mean. As they say in America, beats me. (shrug)

              If you start a topic on this in DW (under Classical Theravada), you
              might get an answer. Members there are less orthodox.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 30, 2013
                Op 17 jul 2013, om 04:45 heeft a6a44357 het volgende geschreven:

                > Thank you for your kind reply, I would very much like to follow up on your
                > answer is there a book you could recommend please.
                -------
                N: Would you like to try my Introducion to Abhidhamma, it may be in the files section of our list.
                Or try Zolag: <http://www.zolag.co.uk/index.html> You could try my 'Abhidhamma in Daily Life'.