SV: [Pali] Re: Unicode-Velthuis conversion

  • alexgenaud
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 25, 2013
      Hello Kumara and Gunnar,

      While I prefer to use ' rather than " for technical and aesthetic reasons, I can understand a standard is a standard ( http://ctan.uib.no/language/devanagari/velthuis/doc/generic/velthuis/manual.pdf ). I've modified the script to use " rather than '.

      Version 3 retains the '
      http://genaud.net/2013/03/convert/pali-transliteration-v3.html

      While version 4 uses "
      http://genaud.net/2013/03/convert/pali-transliteration-v4.html

      Cheers,
      Alex
    • Kumara Bhikkhu
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 28, 2013
        A compromise. Thanks.

        kb

        alexgenaud wrote thus at 11:12 PM 25-04-13:
        >Hello Kumara and Gunnar,
        >
        >While I prefer to use ' rather than " for technical and aesthetic
        >reasons, I can understand a standard is a standard (
        >http://ctan.uib.no/language/devanagari/velthuis/doc/generic/velthuis/manual.pdf
        >). I've modified the script to use " rather than '.
        >
        >Version 3 retains the '
        >http://genaud.net/2013/03/convert/pali-transliteration-v3.html
        >
        >While version 4 uses "
        >http://genaud.net/2013/03/convert/pali-transliteration-v4.html
        >
        >Cheers,
        >Alex
        >

        >------------------------------------

      • alexgenaud
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 28, 2013
          Hi Kumara,

          > A compromise. Thanks.

          My pleasure. Would you have preferred both notations simultaneously? Such that both 'n and "n became n-overdot? My concern in that case is that it is not a true transliteration as a full round trip is not guaranteed to match the input.
          Velthuis(IAST-Unicode(Velthuis('n))) = "n.

          Similar to the square of the square root of -2 is +2. :)

          Whatever you prefer; I've made it hoping to match your needs.

          Cheers,
          Alex
        • Kumara Bhikkhu
          Message 4 of 9 , May 4 2:14 AM
            It's good enough as it is. Thanks a lot.

            alexgenaud wrote thus at 06:32 AM 29-04-13:
            >Hi Kumara,
            >
            > > A compromise. Thanks.
            >
            >My pleasure. Would you have preferred both notations simultaneously?
            >Such that both 'n and "n became n-overdot? My concern in that case
            >is that it is not a true transliteration as a full round trip is not
            >guaranteed to match the input.
            >Velthuis(IAST-Unicode(Velthuis('n))) = "n.
            >
            >Similar to the square of the square root of -2 is +2. :)
            >
            >Whatever you prefer; I've made it hoping to match your needs.
            >
            >Cheers,
            >Alex
            >

            >------------------------------------

          • Gunnar Gällmo
            Message 5 of 9 , May 5 6:28 AM
              One bug I just noticed, about the letter .l:

              The conversion from Velthuis to Unicode works, but not from Unicode to Velthuis.

              Gunnar
            • alexgenaud
              Message 6 of 9 , May 5 2:40 PM
                Tusen tack för att påpeka detta fel, Gunnar.

                I have corrected the .l behaviour and implemented exactly what I said I would not in the same version 4. The following are supported velthuis digraphs which should now produce consistent transliteration cycles:

                aa ii uu .m "m "n ~n .t .d .n .l
                Aa Ii Uu .M "M "N ~N .T .D .N .L

                There are several additional undocumented digraphs (or exclusively documented here) for convenience, nine of which produce inconsistent cycles by design:

                AA II UU EE OO 'M 'm 'N 'n
                ee oo Ee Oo

                I wonder if there is desire for an expanded devanaagarii/Sanskrit repertoire?

                http://www.genaud.net/2013/03/convert/pali-transliteration-v4-hide.html

                Med vänliga hälsningar,
                Alex

                Message 7 of 9 , May 5 4:49 PM
                  Tack s� mycket!

                  To Alex, Gunnar and others who have made this helpful device for those who
                  love and use Pali.

                  May the Dharma prosper as the world needs it more than ever.

                  Sadhu, and

                  With metta and mudita,

                  Piya Tan

                  --