Re: SV: [Pali] Re: Unicode-Velthuis conversion

  • Kumara Bhikkhu
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 8, 2013
      Gunnar Gällmo wrote thus at 07:47 PM 07-04-13:
      >Från: Kumara Bhikkhu <kumara.bhikkhu@...>
      > >Well thought out.
      > >
      > >Minor correction: m-dot-above is represented in Velthuis as "m.
      > >(This is in keeping with the guttural nasal (n-dot-above) being
      > >represented as "n.)
      >
      >It seems this program has also replaced "n with 'n; somewhat confusing.

      Ah, yes. Although I find it odd the it was made
      that way, it's how it is now. So, better to stick to it.

      So, Alex, can you change 'n to "n and 'm to "m?

      kb
    • alexgenaud
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 25, 2013
        Hello Kumara and Gunnar,

        While I prefer to use ' rather than " for technical and aesthetic reasons, I can understand a standard is a standard ( http://ctan.uib.no/language/devanagari/velthuis/doc/generic/velthuis/manual.pdf ). I've modified the script to use " rather than '.

        Version 3 retains the '
        http://genaud.net/2013/03/convert/pali-transliteration-v3.html

        While version 4 uses "
        http://genaud.net/2013/03/convert/pali-transliteration-v4.html

        Cheers,
        Alex
      • Kumara Bhikkhu
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 28, 2013
          A compromise. Thanks.

          kb

          alexgenaud wrote thus at 11:12 PM 25-04-13:
          >Hello Kumara and Gunnar,
          >
          >While I prefer to use ' rather than " for technical and aesthetic
          >reasons, I can understand a standard is a standard (
          >http://ctan.uib.no/language/devanagari/velthuis/doc/generic/velthuis/manual.pdf
          >). I've modified the script to use " rather than '.
          >
          >Version 3 retains the '
          >http://genaud.net/2013/03/convert/pali-transliteration-v3.html
          >
          >While version 4 uses "
          >http://genaud.net/2013/03/convert/pali-transliteration-v4.html
          >
          >Cheers,
          >Alex
          >

          >------------------------------------

        • alexgenaud
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 28, 2013
            Hi Kumara,

            > A compromise. Thanks.

            My pleasure. Would you have preferred both notations simultaneously? Such that both 'n and "n became n-overdot? My concern in that case is that it is not a true transliteration as a full round trip is not guaranteed to match the input.
            Velthuis(IAST-Unicode(Velthuis('n))) = "n.

            Similar to the square of the square root of -2 is +2. :)

            Whatever you prefer; I've made it hoping to match your needs.

            Cheers,
            Alex
          • Kumara Bhikkhu
            Message 5 of 9 , May 4, 2013
              It's good enough as it is. Thanks a lot.

              alexgenaud wrote thus at 06:32 AM 29-04-13:
              >Hi Kumara,
              >
              > > A compromise. Thanks.
              >
              >My pleasure. Would you have preferred both notations simultaneously?
              >Such that both 'n and "n became n-overdot? My concern in that case
              >is that it is not a true transliteration as a full round trip is not
              >guaranteed to match the input.
              >Velthuis(IAST-Unicode(Velthuis('n))) = "n.
              >
              >Similar to the square of the square root of -2 is +2. :)
              >
              >Whatever you prefer; I've made it hoping to match your needs.
              >
              >Cheers,
              >Alex
              >

              >------------------------------------

            • Gunnar Gällmo
              Message 6 of 9 , May 5, 2013
                One bug I just noticed, about the letter .l:

                The conversion from Velthuis to Unicode works, but not from Unicode to Velthuis.

                Gunnar
              • alexgenaud
                Message 7 of 9 , May 5, 2013
                  Tusen tack för att påpeka detta fel, Gunnar.

                  I have corrected the .l behaviour and implemented exactly what I said I would not in the same version 4. The following are supported velthuis digraphs which should now produce consistent transliteration cycles:

                  aa ii uu .m "m "n ~n .t .d .n .l
                  Aa Ii Uu .M "M "N ~N .T .D .N .L

                  There are several additional undocumented digraphs (or exclusively documented here) for convenience, nine of which produce inconsistent cycles by design:

                  AA II UU EE OO 'M 'm 'N 'n
                  ee oo Ee Oo

                  I wonder if there is desire for an expanded devanaagarii/Sanskrit repertoire?

                  http://www.genaud.net/2013/03/convert/pali-transliteration-v4-hide.html

                  Med vänliga hälsningar,
                  Alex

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 5, 2013
                    Tack s� mycket!

                    To Alex, Gunnar and others who have made this helpful device for those who
                    love and use Pali.

                    May the Dharma prosper as the world needs it more than ever.

                    Sadhu, and

                    With metta and mudita,

                    Piya Tan

                    --