Re: Unicode-Velthuis conversion

  • alexgenaud
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 30, 2013
      Hello Kumara,

      Thank you for the tips.

      I have updated the converter as per your suggestions. Javascript will be mentioned only if disabled, the instructions can be hidden, and m-upperdot will correspond with Velthuis 'm and 'M. I would be happy if the page were listed on ATI.

      http://genaud.net/2013/03/convert/

      Cheers,
      Alex

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Kumara Bhikkhu <kumara.bhikkhu@...> wrote:

      > The arrangement makes more sense, and the interface is more user-friendly.
      >
      > I think adding a concise instruction would be good. Suggestion:
      > Instruction
      > 1. Enter Romanised Pali text into the box according to the script.
      > 2. Press tab, return/enter, or space.
      > This service depends on JavaScript.
      > Presently, the JavaScript also converts ee and oo into e-macron and
      > o-macron. Not a big issue, but there are no such Pali characters.
      >
      > Can you also provide for m-upperdot?
      >
      > Also, I think a better name is Romanized Pali Script Conversion.
      >
      > When we're satisfied with this, I would like to recommend this to be
      > listed at http://www.accesstoinsight.org/outsources/pali.html
      > Hope you are okay with that.
      >
      > kb
      >
      > alexgenaud wrote thus at 12:41 PM 16-03-13:
      > >Thanks. I hope it works for you, otherwise let me know how it could
      > >be improved, other characters like Sanskrit, other transliterations,
      > >or whatever. When I actually tried it myself I was annoyed by three
      > >things. So, now (1) tab, return, or space will update all other
      > >fields, (2) the input fields are bigger, and (3) Velthuis is on top
      > >then Unicode.
      > >
      > >http://genaud.net/2013/03/convert/
      > >

      > >--- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Kumara Bhikkhu <kumara.bhikkhu@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Cool!
      > > >
      > > > At first I was wondering where to click. Then somewhat intuitively I
      > > > just clicked. Haha!
      > > >
      > > > Well done! I appreciate it very much.
      > >

      > >------------------------------------

    • Kumara Bhikkhu
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 31, 2013
        Well thought out.

        Minor correction: m-dot-above is represented in Velthuis as "m.
        (This is in keeping with the guttural nasal (n-dot-above) being
        represented as "n.)

        Also, I think having the instructions not shown by default would make
        more sense, since one would not want to see it anymore after getting
        a hang of it. I'm aware that they are 2 separate files. I'm thinking
        for those who would use it online only. It's a minor point though.

        Wonder which I should ask John of ATI to link to.

        kb