Re: The Twin Miracle, Yamaka Patihara

  • stefan_karpik
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 21, 2013
      What Nina says is somewhat supported by Richard Gombrich in 'How Buddhism Began'. He argues that Angulimala was a Kali devotee and his murders were part of his devotions. With that information, one can begin to see Angulimala as a very religious person practising misguided rites and rituals until the Buddha opened his eyes. Angulimala still puzzles me, but this makes him a little more understandable.

      > Dear Frank,
      > Op 12-feb-2013, om 17:23 heeft Frank K het volgende geschreven:
      >
      > > N: He had killed, but not committed a heinous crime like killing
      > > > parents or the Buddha. A heinous crime is an impediment. There was
      > > > not such an imediment.
      > > >

      > > F: So trying to deliberately murder a Samma Sambuddha, and failing
      > > only
      > > because the Buddha stopped him, is not considered heinous?
      > ------
      > N: Conditions, conditions. We cannot understand all conditions
      > thoroughly.
      > We have to consider which factors make akusala kamma a heinous crime,
      > and thus a hindrance to enlightenment.
      > -------
      > > F: Just a petty
      > > crime, a misdemeanor, a mere impediment? In my book, when you have the
      > > intention, have planned it out, carried it out and almost certainly
      > > would
      > > have succeeded with that action 99% of the time if not for
      > > extraordinary
      > > intervention, the kammic fruit for that is much closer to 99% of full
      > > kammic fruit than 0%.
      > -------
      > N: I understand your point of view, you are reasoning, you have a
      > logical view about things.
      > But kamma and vipaaka is most intricate and only Buddhas can
      > thoroughly understand it.
      > What is our understanding compared to the Buddha's omniscience?
      > The Buddha also knew the kusala and understanding Angulima had
      > accumulated in former lives. This was never lost and could bear
      > fruit. When considering kamma and result so many factors also
      > stemming from past lives have to be taken into consideration. We do
      > not have the Buddha's wisdom.
      > I understand that at first sight you find things incomprehensible.
      > But let us consider things more deeply, not just by logic.
      > We can never judge the deeds of someone else, who knows his past
      > accumulations? We also may have killed in former lives, but now: here
      > we are studying Dhamma. This sutta is also an encouragement that
      > kusala is never lost, somehow it will bear fruit, inspite of all the
      > tribulations one may experience.
      > Angulima was aware and developed understanding of whatever dhamma
      > appeared at the present moment, even akusala dhamma; he saw that as
      > just a conditioned reality. Only in that way he could attain
      > arahatship. So, let us never forget the dhamma appearing right now.
      > The only way.
      >
      > Nina.

    • Chanida
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 21, 2013
        Dear Frank,

        On preparing for the Sunday dhamma study class, I incidentally came across this relevant reference, being another version of the Buddha's guarantee to Nanda in the commentary to AN.I which is probably clearer than the one from Dhammapadaṭṭhakathā you referred to:

        "Nanda, evarūpā accharā samaṇadhammaṃ karontānaṃ na dullabhāti. Sace me, bhante bhagavā, pāṭibhogo hoti, ahaṃ samaṇadhammaṃ karissāmīti. Vissattho tvaṃ, nanda, samaṇadhammaṃ karohi. Sace te sappaṭisandhikā kālakiriyā bhavissati, ahaṃ etāsaṃ paṭilābhatthāya pāṭibhogoti." (AN-a 1.316-7)

        Rough translation:

        Buddha: "Nanda, such celestial nymphs are not hard to be obtained for those who practise samaṇa-dhamma."

        Nanda: If the Blessed one will be my guarantor, I will do it.

        Buddha: "Be confident, Nanda. Practise samaṇa-dhammmma. If there will be death with (future) rebirth for you, I am guarantor for the obtainment of those nymphs."

        As for another example of another killer who attained dhamma, see the story of Tambadāṭhikacoraghātaka in the Dhammapadaṭṭhakathā 2.202-208.

        As for the comparison of Ajātasattu, you may recollect that he did not practise himself according to Buddha's teachings as did Angulimala. The best Ajatasattu did was only 'dāna', and he has not abandoned any desire. See the story of Jotika where Ajātasattu's greed was mentioned.

        Metta,
        Chanida

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Frank K <frank48k@...> wrote:

        > The problem is the Buddha guaranteed his cousin Nanda
        > celestial nymphs if he didn't disrobe and remained in the order. If the
        > Buddha had made the guarantee in a not so ironclad way, I wouldn't have a
        > problem with that either. For example, if he said, "Nanda, if you don't
        > disrobe, I will show you how to develop samatha to the point where you
        > could easily attain celestial nymphs." Then the Buddha would be stating a
        > truth, and not making ironclad guarantees that seem to be not something an
        > enlightened being would say.
        >
        > In the case of Angulimala, is there any other precedent in the Canon where
        > someone can commit such heinous crimes as Angulimala and still attain
        > arahantship or even stream entry in that safe lifetime?
      • Frank K
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 24, 2013
          Dear Chanida,
          The diacritics in your pali quotes are not coming out correctly through the
          pali email subscription or looking at the message itself on the yahoo server
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pali/message/16021

          Getting unicode to work on yahoogroups is possible, but it can be tricky.
          You can try the velthuis converter that they've been discussing recently.

          metta,
          frank

        • Kumara Bhikkhu
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 30, 2013
            I wonder if it's because this group is set to text only (i.e, no
            html). Yes, Velthuis is the safest bet here.