Re: [Pali] Re: Unicode-Velthuis conversion

  • Kumara Bhikkhu
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 18, 2013
      The arrangement makes more sense, and the interface is more user-friendly.

      I think adding a concise instruction would be good. Suggestion:
      Instruction
      1. Enter Romanised Pali text into the box according to the script.
      2. Press tab, return/enter, or space.
      This service depends on JavaScript.
      Presently, the JavaScript also converts ee and oo into e-macron and
      o-macron. Not a big issue, but there are no such Pali characters.

      Can you also provide for m-upperdot?

      Also, I think a better name is Romanized Pali Script Conversion.

      When we're satisfied with this, I would like to recommend this to be
      listed at http://www.accesstoinsight.org/outsources/pali.html
      Hope you are okay with that.

      kb

      alexgenaud wrote thus at 12:41 PM 16-03-13:
      >Thanks. I hope it works for you, otherwise let me know how it could
      >be improved, other characters like Sanskrit, other transliterations,
      >or whatever. When I actually tried it myself I was annoyed by three
      >things. So, now (1) tab, return, or space will update all other
      >fields, (2) the input fields are bigger, and (3) Velthuis is on top
      >then Unicode.
      >
      >http://genaud.net/2013/03/convert/
      >

      >--- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Kumara Bhikkhu <kumara.bhikkhu@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Cool!
      > >
      > > At first I was wondering where to click. Then somewhat intuitively I
      > > just clicked. Haha!
      > >
      > > Well done! I appreciate it very much.
      >

      >------------------------------------

    • alexgenaud
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 30, 2013
        Hello Kumara,

        Thank you for the tips.

        I have updated the converter as per your suggestions. Javascript will be mentioned only if disabled, the instructions can be hidden, and m-upperdot will correspond with Velthuis 'm and 'M. I would be happy if the page were listed on ATI.

        http://genaud.net/2013/03/convert/

        Cheers,
        Alex

      • Kumara Bhikkhu
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 31, 2013
          Well thought out.

          Minor correction: m-dot-above is represented in Velthuis as "m.
          (This is in keeping with the guttural nasal (n-dot-above) being
          represented as "n.)

          Also, I think having the instructions not shown by default would make
          more sense, since one would not want to see it anymore after getting
          a hang of it. I'm aware that they are 2 separate files. I'm thinking
          for those who would use it online only. It's a minor point though.

          Wonder which I should ask John of ATI to link to.

          kb