Re: [Pali] The Twin Miracle, Yamaka Patihara

  • Frank K
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 12, 2013

      > F:In the case of Angulimala, is there any other precedent in the
      > > Canon where
      > > someone can commit such heinous crimes as Angulimala and still attain
      > > arahantship or even stream entry in that safe lifetime?
      > -----
      > N: He had killed, but not committed a heinous crime like killing
      > parents or the Buddha. A heinous crime is an impediment. There was
      > not such an imediment.
      >
      > Nina.

      So trying to deliberately murder a Samma Sambuddha, and failing only
      because the Buddha stopped him, is not considered heinous? Just a petty
      crime, a misdemeanor, a mere impediment? In my book, when you have the
      intention, have planned it out, carried it out and almost certainly would
      have succeeded with that action 99% of the time if not for extraordinary
      intervention, the kammic fruit for that is much closer to 99% of full
      kammic fruit than 0%.

    • Kumara Bhikkhu
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 17, 2013
        Very well said, Chanida. Sadhu!

        About the Ven Nanda's story, I'd like to add that Buddha probably saw
        what would happen. One might say that it's somewhat crafty of the
        Buddha (and of the father in your analogy), but it's completely
        compassionate. On the similar note, Anathapindika was also somewhat
        crafty in bribing his son to attend talks by the Buddha.

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 20, 2013
          Dear Frank,
          Op 12-feb-2013, om 17:23 heeft Frank K het volgende geschreven:

          > N: He had killed, but not committed a heinous crime like killing
          > > parents or the Buddha. A heinous crime is an impediment. There was
          > > not such an imediment.
          > >

          > F: So trying to deliberately murder a Samma Sambuddha, and failing
          > only
          > because the Buddha stopped him, is not considered heinous?
          ------
          N: Conditions, conditions. We cannot understand all conditions
          thoroughly.
          We have to consider which factors make akusala kamma a heinous crime,
          and thus a hindrance to enlightenment.
          -------
          > F: Just a petty
          > crime, a misdemeanor, a mere impediment? In my book, when you have the
          > intention, have planned it out, carried it out and almost certainly
          > would
          > have succeeded with that action 99% of the time if not for
          > extraordinary
          > intervention, the kammic fruit for that is much closer to 99% of full
          > kammic fruit than 0%.
          -------
          N: I understand your point of view, you are reasoning, you have a
          logical view about things.
          But kamma and vipaaka is most intricate and only Buddhas can
          thoroughly understand it.
          What is our understanding compared to the Buddha's omniscience?
          The Buddha also knew the kusala and understanding Angulima had
          accumulated in former lives. This was never lost and could bear
          fruit. When considering kamma and result so many factors also
          stemming from past lives have to be taken into consideration. We do
          not have the Buddha's wisdom.
          I understand that at first sight you find things incomprehensible.
          But let us consider things more deeply, not just by logic.
          We can never judge the deeds of someone else, who knows his past
          accumulations? We also may have killed in former lives, but now: here
          we are studying Dhamma. This sutta is also an encouragement that
          kusala is never lost, somehow it will bear fruit, inspite of all the
          tribulations one may experience.
          Angulima was aware and developed understanding of whatever dhamma
          appeared at the present moment, even akusala dhamma; he saw that as
          just a conditioned reality. Only in that way he could attain
          arahatship. So, let us never forget the dhamma appearing right now.
          The only way.

        • stefan_karpik
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 21, 2013
            What Nina says is somewhat supported by Richard Gombrich in 'How Buddhism Began'. He argues that Angulimala was a Kali devotee and his murders were part of his devotions. With that information, one can begin to see Angulimala as a very religious person practising misguided rites and rituals until the Buddha opened his eyes. Angulimala still puzzles me, but this makes him a little more understandable.

            > Dear Frank,
            > Op 12-feb-2013, om 17:23 heeft Frank K het volgende geschreven:
            >
            > > N: He had killed, but not committed a heinous crime like killing
            > > > parents or the Buddha. A heinous crime is an impediment. There was
            > > > not such an imediment.
            > > >

            > > F: So trying to deliberately murder a Samma Sambuddha, and failing
            > > only
            > > because the Buddha stopped him, is not considered heinous?
            > ------
            > N: Conditions, conditions. We cannot understand all conditions
            > thoroughly.
            > We have to consider which factors make akusala kamma a heinous crime,
            > and thus a hindrance to enlightenment.
            > -------
            > > F: Just a petty
            > > crime, a misdemeanor, a mere impediment? In my book, when you have the
            > > intention, have planned it out, carried it out and almost certainly
            > > would
            > > have succeeded with that action 99% of the time if not for
            > > extraordinary
            > > intervention, the kammic fruit for that is much closer to 99% of full
            > > kammic fruit than 0%.
            > -------
            > N: I understand your point of view, you are reasoning, you have a
            > logical view about things.
            > But kamma and vipaaka is most intricate and only Buddhas can
            > thoroughly understand it.
            > What is our understanding compared to the Buddha's omniscience?
            > The Buddha also knew the kusala and understanding Angulima had
            > accumulated in former lives. This was never lost and could bear
            > fruit. When considering kamma and result so many factors also
            > stemming from past lives have to be taken into consideration. We do
            > not have the Buddha's wisdom.
            > I understand that at first sight you find things incomprehensible.
            > But let us consider things more deeply, not just by logic.
            > We can never judge the deeds of someone else, who knows his past
            > accumulations? We also may have killed in former lives, but now: here
            > we are studying Dhamma. This sutta is also an encouragement that
            > kusala is never lost, somehow it will bear fruit, inspite of all the
            > tribulations one may experience.
            > Angulima was aware and developed understanding of whatever dhamma
            > appeared at the present moment, even akusala dhamma; he saw that as
            > just a conditioned reality. Only in that way he could attain
            > arahatship. So, let us never forget the dhamma appearing right now.
            > The only way.
            >
            > Nina.

          • Chanida
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 21, 2013
              Dear Frank,

              On preparing for the Sunday dhamma study class, I incidentally came across this relevant reference, being another version of the Buddha's guarantee to Nanda in the commentary to AN.I which is probably clearer than the one from Dhammapadaṭṭhakathā you referred to:

              "Nanda, evarūpā accharā samaṇadhammaṃ karontānaṃ na dullabhāti. Sace me, bhante bhagavā, pāṭibhogo hoti, ahaṃ samaṇadhammaṃ karissāmīti. Vissattho tvaṃ, nanda, samaṇadhammaṃ karohi. Sace te sappaṭisandhikā kālakiriyā bhavissati, ahaṃ etāsaṃ paṭilābhatthāya pāṭibhogoti." (AN-a 1.316-7)

              Rough translation:

              Buddha: "Nanda, such celestial nymphs are not hard to be obtained for those who practise samaṇa-dhamma."

              Nanda: If the Blessed one will be my guarantor, I will do it.

              Buddha: "Be confident, Nanda. Practise samaṇa-dhammmma. If there will be death with (future) rebirth for you, I am guarantor for the obtainment of those nymphs."

              As for another example of another killer who attained dhamma, see the story of Tambadāṭhikacoraghātaka in the Dhammapadaṭṭhakathā 2.202-208.

              As for the comparison of Ajātasattu, you may recollect that he did not practise himself according to Buddha's teachings as did Angulimala. The best Ajatasattu did was only 'dāna', and he has not abandoned any desire. See the story of Jotika where Ajātasattu's greed was mentioned.

              Metta,
              Chanida

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 24, 2013
                Dear Chanida,
                The diacritics in your pali quotes are not coming out correctly through the
                pali email subscription or looking at the message itself on the yahoo server
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pali/message/16021

                Getting unicode to work on yahoogroups is possible, but it can be tricky.
                You can try the velthuis converter that they've been discussing recently.

                metta,
                frank

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 30, 2013
                  I wonder if it's because this group is set to text only (i.e, no
                  html). Yes, Velthuis is the safest bet here.