Re: Unicode-Velthuis conversion

  • alexgenaud
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 15, 2013
      Thanks. I hope it works for you, otherwise let me know how it could be improved, other characters like Sanskrit, other transliterations, or whatever. When I actually tried it myself I was annoyed by three things. So, now (1) tab, return, or space will update all other fields, (2) the input fields are bigger, and (3) Velthuis is on top then Unicode.

      http://genaud.net/2013/03/convert/

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Kumara Bhikkhu <kumara.bhikkhu@...> wrote:

      > Cool!
      >
      > At first I was wondering where to click. Then somewhat intuitively I
      > just clicked. Haha!
      >
      > Well done! I appreciate it very much.
    • Kumara Bhikkhu
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 18, 2013
        The arrangement makes more sense, and the interface is more user-friendly.

        I think adding a concise instruction would be good. Suggestion:
        Instruction
        1. Enter Romanised Pali text into the box according to the script.
        2. Press tab, return/enter, or space.
        This service depends on JavaScript.
        Presently, the JavaScript also converts ee and oo into e-macron and
        o-macron. Not a big issue, but there are no such Pali characters.

        Can you also provide for m-upperdot?

        Also, I think a better name is Romanized Pali Script Conversion.

        When we're satisfied with this, I would like to recommend this to be
        listed at http://www.accesstoinsight.org/outsources/pali.html
        Hope you are okay with that.

        kb

        alexgenaud wrote thus at 12:41 PM 16-03-13:
        >Thanks. I hope it works for you, otherwise let me know how it could
        >be improved, other characters like Sanskrit, other transliterations,
        >or whatever. When I actually tried it myself I was annoyed by three
        >things. So, now (1) tab, return, or space will update all other
        >fields, (2) the input fields are bigger, and (3) Velthuis is on top
        >then Unicode.
        >
        >http://genaud.net/2013/03/convert/
        >

        >--- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Kumara Bhikkhu <kumara.bhikkhu@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Cool!
        > >
        > > At first I was wondering where to click. Then somewhat intuitively I
        > > just clicked. Haha!
        > >
        > > Well done! I appreciate it very much.
        >

        >------------------------------------

      • alexgenaud
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 30, 2013
          Hello Kumara,

          Thank you for the tips.

          I have updated the converter as per your suggestions. Javascript will be mentioned only if disabled, the instructions can be hidden, and m-upperdot will correspond with Velthuis 'm and 'M. I would be happy if the page were listed on ATI.

          http://genaud.net/2013/03/convert/

          Cheers,
          Alex

        • Kumara Bhikkhu
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 31, 2013
            Well thought out.

            Minor correction: m-dot-above is represented in Velthuis as "m.
            (This is in keeping with the guttural nasal (n-dot-above) being
            represented as "n.)

            Also, I think having the instructions not shown by default would make
            more sense, since one would not want to see it anymore after getting
            a hang of it. I'm aware that they are 2 separate files. I'm thinking
            for those who would use it online only. It's a minor point though.

            Wonder which I should ask John of ATI to link to.

            kb