Re: [Pali] Re: Unicode-Velthuis conversion

  • Kumara Bhikkhu
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 4 10:40 PM
      Interesting. Thanks for your kind offer.

      My requirement is simply converting occasional texts. Nina pointed me
      to http://www.granthamandira.com/diCrunch/diCrunch.php
      which works just fine.

      As I may need to convert without Net access, I've downloaded the
      script linked at the bottom:
      http://www.granthamandira.com/diCrunch/diCrunch.zip
      and installed xampplite to run it. (My first time doing such a
      thing.) Works just fine. I'd probably hack it later to make
      Unicode-to-Velthuis the default.

      I've also found another php code at
      http://www.gosinga.net/wp-content/opensource/velthuis-unicode.html
      It's only one way, but I suppose it should be easy enough to hack it
      to create another that does the opposite.

      Now, it would be a whole lot better to have these converted to
      javascript so that I don't have to use xampplite...

      In case some of you are wondering why I'm needing Velthuis, it's
      because I'm still using Eudora as my POP email client. For me it's
      only 'fault' is lack of Unicode support.

      kb

      alexgenaud wrote thus at 08:08 PM 04-03-13:
      >Hi Kumara Bhikkhu,
      >
      >I have written several such conversions. Most likely, I can convert
      >your text as well. It's not as straight forward as simply saying
      >'convert Unicode to Velthuis' as there is more involved: byte
      >encoding, entity references, etc. Are you converting text on a web
      >site? Personal files?
      >
      >As an example, I have a script which automatically converts an
      >entire website between five transliterations: ASCII, MozPali,
      >Velthuis, a Mobile (IAST hybrid), and Unicode NCR.
      >
      >http://obo.genaud.net/dhamma-vinaya/pali/an/01_ones/an01.188-295.pali.bd.htm#217

      <snip>
    • alexgenaud
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 13 5:13 PM
        Hello again Kumara Bhikkhu,

        I welcome you to try this javascript solution:

        http://genaud.net/2013/03/convert/
        <http://genaud.net/2013/03/convert/index.html>

        Feel free to download the two
        <http://genaud.net/2013/03/convert/index.html> files
        <http://genaud.net/2013/03/convert/jquery-1.9.1.min.js> , the first
        released under the standard Poetic License
        <http://genaud.net/2005/10/poetic-license/> . Let me know if it needs
        some adjustments.

        > ... why I'm needing Velthuis, it's
        > because I'm still using Eudora as
        > my POP email client. For me it's
        > only 'fault' is lack of Unicode support.

        Oh, I fully understand the frustration of Unicode. It's a pity we didn't
        standardize on a simpler but faithful ASCII transliteration ages ago. I
        propose an r preceding the retroflex, double vowel for macron as
        Velthuis, and perhaps j and g preceding the palatal and valar n
        respectively. Otherwise, in my opinion Trenckner had the most elegant
        scheme <http://pali.hum.ku.dk/cpd/intro/trenckner.html> .

        Cheers,
        Alex

      • Kumara Bhikkhu
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 13 8:19 PM
          Cool!

          At first I was wondering where to click. Then somewhat intuitively I
          just clicked. Haha!

          Well done! I appreciate it very much.

          alexgenaud wrote thus at 08:13 AM 14-03-13:
          >Hello again Kumara Bhikkhu,
          >
          >I welcome you to try this javascript solution:
          >
          >http://genaud.net/2013/03/convert/
          ><http://genaud.net/2013/03/convert/index.html>
          >
          >Feel free to download the two
          ><http://genaud.net/2013/03/convert/index.html> files
          ><http://genaud.net/2013/03/convert/jquery-1.9.1.min.js> , the first
          >released under the standard Poetic License
          ><http://genaud.net/2005/10/poetic-license/> . Let me know if it needs
          >some adjustments.
          >

          > > ... why I'm needing Velthuis, it's
          > > because I'm still using Eudora as
          > > my POP email client. For me it's
          > > only 'fault' is lack of Unicode support.
          >
          >Oh, I fully understand the frustration of Unicode. It's a pity we didn't
          >standardize on a simpler but faithful ASCII transliteration ages ago. I
          >propose an r preceding the retroflex, double vowel for macron as
          >Velthuis, and perhaps j and g preceding the palatal and valar n
          >respectively. Otherwise, in my opinion Trenckner had the most elegant
          >scheme <http://pali.hum.ku.dk/cpd/intro/trenckner.html> .
          >
          >Cheers,
          >Alex
        • alexgenaud
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 15 9:41 PM
            Thanks. I hope it works for you, otherwise let me know how it could be improved, other characters like Sanskrit, other transliterations, or whatever. When I actually tried it myself I was annoyed by three things. So, now (1) tab, return, or space will update all other fields, (2) the input fields are bigger, and (3) Velthuis is on top then Unicode.

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 18 2:33 AM
              The arrangement makes more sense, and the interface is more user-friendly.

              I think adding a concise instruction would be good. Suggestion:
              Instruction
              1. Enter Romanised Pali text into the box according to the script.
              2. Press tab, return/enter, or space.
              This service depends on JavaScript.
              Presently, the JavaScript also converts ee and oo into e-macron and
              o-macron. Not a big issue, but there are no such Pali characters.

              Can you also provide for m-upperdot?

              Also, I think a better name is Romanized Pali Script Conversion.

              When we're satisfied with this, I would like to recommend this to be
              listed at http://www.accesstoinsight.org/outsources/pali.html
              Hope you are okay with that.

              kb

              alexgenaud wrote thus at 12:41 PM 16-03-13:
              >Thanks. I hope it works for you, otherwise let me know how it could
              >be improved, other characters like Sanskrit, other transliterations,
              >or whatever. When I actually tried it myself I was annoyed by three
              >things. So, now (1) tab, return, or space will update all other
              >fields, (2) the input fields are bigger, and (3) Velthuis is on top
              >then Unicode.
              >
              >http://genaud.net/2013/03/convert/
              >

              >--- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Kumara Bhikkhu <kumara.bhikkhu@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Cool!
              > >
              > > At first I was wondering where to click. Then somewhat intuitively I
              > > just clicked. Haha!
              > >
              > > Well done! I appreciate it very much.
              >

              >------------------------------------

            • alexgenaud
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 30 11:19 AM
                Hello Kumara,

                Thank you for the tips.

                I have updated the converter as per your suggestions. Javascript will be mentioned only if disabled, the instructions can be hidden, and m-upperdot will correspond with Velthuis 'm and 'M. I would be happy if the page were listed on ATI.

              • Kumara Bhikkhu
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 31 1:55 AM
                  Well thought out.

                  Minor correction: m-dot-above is represented in Velthuis as "m.
                  (This is in keeping with the guttural nasal (n-dot-above) being
                  represented as "n.)

                  Also, I think having the instructions not shown by default would make
                  more sense, since one would not want to see it anymore after getting
                  a hang of it. I'm aware that they are 2 separate files. I'm thinking
                  for those who would use it online only. It's a minor point though.

                  Wonder which I should ask John of ATI to link to.

                  kb