Re: [Pali] A K Warder passed away?

  • Morgan Morrison
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 16, 2013
      Unfortunately, Professor A(nthony) K(ennedy) Warder has passed away. Here is a link to his obituary.
      http://www.sumeru-books.com/2013/02/anthony-kennedy-warder-obituary/

      Metta,

      M. Morrison

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 16, 2013
        Sadly, it is true.

        http://www.sumeru-books.com/2013/02/anthony-kennedy-warder-obituary/

        >________________________________
        > De : Rajendra Jadhao <jadhao@...>
        >À : Pali@yahoogroups.com
        >Envoyé le : Vendredi 15 février 2013 15h12
        >Objet : [Pali] A K Warder passed away?
        >

        >Is it true that A.K. Warder, the Pali Scholar is no more?

      • Dhivan Thomas Jones
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 17, 2013
          Yes. Here is the notice I received via the H-Buddhism list:

          The death in Toronto has been announced of the distinguished scholar
          Prof. A.K.Warder. A funeral service for him and for his wife Nargez
          will take place at 11 a.m. on Friday 15 February 2013, at Turner &
          Porter Funeral Home, 2357 Bloor Street, West, Toronto (viewing from
          10.00 a.m.); with interment afterwards at St. John's Dixie Cemetery,
          737 Dundas Street East, Mississauga, Ontario.

          Prof. Warder, a graduate of the University of London, taught for many
          years at the University of Toronto. As Chairman of the Department of
          East Asian Studies during a formative period, he built up a strong
          programme in Sanskrit and South Asian Studies, which for some years
          existed as a separate Department. A very learned scholar, he is best
          known for his Indian Buddhism (1st pub. 1970; 3rd revised edition,
          Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, 2000) and for his monumental 8-volume
          study of Indian Kāvya Literature (Motilal Banarsidass, 1972-2011). As
          well as other books on Buddhism, Indian philosophy and Indian
          literature, he also wrote an Introduction to Pali (Pali Text Society,
          1963; 3rd revised edition, 2005), and Pali Metre: A Contribution to
          the History of Indian Literature (Pali Text Society, 1967); and he was
          active for some years in the affairs of the Pali Text Society. A
          volume of studies in his honour was edited by Profs. N.K.Wagle and
          F.Watanabe (1993).

          David Waterhouse
          University of Toronto

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 10, 2013

            the demise of the late Professor A K Warder is a great loss to the world. A highly learned scholar, Professor Warder dedicated his life to the study of classical Indian languages, including Pali and Sanskrit.

            Most of us are familiar with the works of Professor Warder. In particular, the book Introduction to Pali (published by Pali Text Society) is an invaluable resource to all Pali students, including myself. While some of us may have had the priviledge to study under him, most of us would have benefited from reading his books. In fact, a substantial portion of our discussion references his works.

            I am very thankful for the works from the professor. The insights of the Buddha has great significance and relevance to our lives, the global community, the environment, and inter-religious harmony. The Buddha's teachings deserves our close and careful study. Even with his passing, I hope the professor remains a source of inspiration to those of us who wish to contribute to the learning of Pali and the Tipitaka.

            May the blessings of the Triple Gem be with the late professor,
            may he attain peace and nibbana.

          • Stephen Hodge
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 10, 2013
              > Dear friends,

              > May the blessings of the Triple Gem be with the late professor,
              > may he attain peace and nibbana.

              And his wife, who curiously also died around the same time, such that their
              funerals/memorial services were held together.

              Best wishes,
              Stephen Hodge