Fwd: Re: [Pali] All of that is considered JhÄ?na ?

  • Dieter Moeller
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2013
      wondering why my message didn't come through..

      -------- Original-Nachricht --------
      Datum: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 14:40:46 +0100
      Von: "Dieter Moeller" <Kalama@...>
      An: Pali@yahoogroups.com
      Betreff: Re: [Pali] All of that is considered JhÄ?na ?

      Hi Gerard,

      you wrote:

      "Interesting in this connection are the ideas about meditation and jhana of the American monk Vimalaramsi (dhammasukha.org).

      According to him the idea of jhana as absorption, or even, concentration meditation, which is, in vipassana-circles, the common vue, is utterly false. It is based on the commentaries, he says, in particular on the Visuddhimagga, but not on the Sutta’s."

      D: I wonder whether he put it this way, as it is obvious according to the suttas , that within the first Jhana the 5 senses media is absorbed , and in the second , the 6xt sense .

      with Metta Dieter

      -------- Original-Nachricht --------
      > Datum: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 11:58:47 +0100
      > Von: "Gerard" <gmblok@...>
      > An: Pali@yahoogroups.com
      > Betreff: Re: [Pali] All of that is considered Jhāna ?

      > Interesting in this connection are the ideas about meditation and jhana of
      > the American monk Vimalaramsi (dhammasukha.org).
      >
      > According to him the idea of jhana as absorption, or even, concentration
      > meditation, which is, in vipassana-circles, the common vue, is utterly
      > false. It is based on the commentaries, he says, in particular on the
      > Visuddhimagga, but not on the Sutta’s.
      >
      > Metta,
      >
      > Gerard Blok,
      > Amsterdam

    • Kumara Bhikkhu
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 6, 2013
        Dieter Moeller wrote thus at 10:54 AM 07-01-13:
        >D: I wonder whether he put it this way, as it is obvious according
        >to the suttas , that within the first Jhana the 5 senses media is
        >absorbed , and in the second , the 6xt sense .

        I'm interested to know where you find the Suttas say that.

        kb
      • Gerard
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2013
          Hi Dieter,
          could you be a bit more explicit:
          what is the Pali word for “absorbed” , and can you mention a sutta, an exact place if possible, where is told what you say?
          Metta,
          Gerard

          Datum: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 14:40:46 +0100
          Von: "Dieter Moeller" mailto:Kalama%40gmx.net>