Re: [Pali] All of that is consid ered Jhāna ?

  • Gerard
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2013
      Interesting in this connection are the ideas about meditation and jhana of the American monk Vimalaramsi (dhammasukha.org).

      According to him the idea of jhana as absorption, or even, concentration meditation, which is, in vipassana-circles, the common vue, is utterly false. It is based on the commentaries, he says, in particular on the Visuddhimagga, but not on the Sutta’s.

      Metta,

      Gerard Blok,
      Amsterdam

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 6, 2013
        I fully agree with that. Richard Shankman's book
        "The Experience of Samadhi" made this very clear
        and convincing. Theravada (Visuddhimagga) jhana
        is not the same as Early Buddhist (Sutta) jhana.

        For a Theravadin diehard, It's a pretty difficult pill to swallow!

        kb

        Gerard wrote thus at 06:58 PM 05-01-13:
        >Interesting in this connection are the ideas
        >about meditation and jhana of the American monk Vimalaramsi (dhammasukha.org).
        >
        >According to him the idea of jhana as
        >absorption, or even, concentration meditation,
        >which is, in vipassana-circles, the common vue,
        >is utterly false. It is based on the
        >commentaries, he says, in particular on the
        >Visuddhimagga, but not on the Sutta’s.
        >
        >Metta,
        >
        >Gerard Blok,
        >Amsterdam

      • Frank K
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 11, 2013
          Dear Ven. KB,
          With the Pali sutta description of jhāna, 16 steps of ānāpāna, etc., being
          so terse, it's hard to know exactly what the Buddha's instructions on jhāna
          actually entails. So it may be that what constitutes jhāna is broader than
          we may think. But even using an attitude of keeping the definition broad
          and open, it still seems that the Vism. is describing a different practice
          for development of jhāna than the terse Pali sutta passages. Another
          example of the Buddha's terse instructions being frustratingly lacking in
          detail is the development of knowledge and vision, especially the 3 higher
          knowledges. In one of the suttas on iddhipada, the Buddha said a couple
          lines on developing the perception of light, in all directions, so night is
          like day, day is like night. And the next line he is talking about the
          supernormal powers already, with no details on how one gets there. Whatever
          problems people have with Vism., you have to give them credit for the fact
          that using the detailed instructions in the Vism. on Jhāna and supernormal
          power, there are practitioners today who were able to do it.

          metta,
          frank