Re: [Pali] Re: All of that is considered JhÄ na?

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5, 2013
      Dear Pali friends,

      A very happy new year.

      You can also read something about what Chanida has stated below in Gethin,
      "The Buddhist Path of Awakening," 2001: 269, where he says the list totals
      191 objects of meditation (Bodhi's latest tr of Anguttara however says the
      list is only 181 (A:B 1.394-574), ie the whole of the Accharra Sa.gghaa.ta

      Aside, I wonder by the "World Tipitaka" of Bangkok is now offline.
      Previously, we click here:
      we are able to access this excellent Tipitaka website. I hope it will get
      back online, or better, have a CD version like CSCD.

      With metta,

      On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 6:15 AM, Chanida <jchanida@...> wrote:

      > **
      > Dear Nina and Frank,
      > Thanks for your comment, Nina. If you have access to a PTS edition of the
      > Pali canon, I give book and page reference below so that you know which
      > passage Frank referred to.
      > If I understood Frank correctly, his question involves the compound
      > 'arittajjhaano' (not devoid of jhaana) in the stock phrase "Arittajjhaano
      > viharati satthusaasanakaro ovaadapatikaro amogha.m ra.t.thapi.n.da.m
      > bhu~njati" in Jhaana-vagga of AN volume I (AN I 38-43). Here the Buddha
      > said that a monk who pursues/develops any of the following practices, even
      > for a brief moment, is called 'a monk who is not devoid of jhaana, who acts
      > upon the teaching of the Teacher, who responds to his advice, who does not
      > eat the country's almsfood in vain.' The practices mentioned are: any level
      > of the four jhaanas, mettaa cetovimutti or else upto upekkkhaa cetovimutti,
      > any of the four foundations of mindfulness, chanda and viriya in regard to
      > any of the four padhaanas (sa.mvara-padhaana, pahaana-padhaana,
      > bhaavanaa-padhaana and anurakkhanaa-padhaana), etc.
      > The same expression is found in AN I 10-11, where the same is said for a
      > monk who pursues/develops metta-citta.
      > You can find these in Syamra.t.tha edition vol. 20 p. 20 and pp.50-55 and
      > in MMR Thai translation of Pali canon and commentaries book 32 pp.106-107
      > and book 33, pp.214-219.
      > Frank asked whether all those practices can be considered 'jhaana' as
      > expressed by the compound 'arittajjhaano.' (Frank, please correct me if I
      > misunderstood your question.) My answer was that probably the term 'jhaana'
      > in the compound refers, not directly to those practices, but to the level
      > of necessary concentration associated with those practices.
      > Here, I think the right view is already assumed, and the practices already
      > right-practices. Otherwise the Buddha would not have praised the
      > practitioner (monk) who pursues such practices as "satthu saasanakaro
      > ovaadapatikaro amogha.m ra.t.thapi.n.da.m bhu~njati"
      > I wish you and all a Happy New Year. :)
      > Metta,
      > Chanida

      *hp (65) 8211 0879*

      *The Minding Centre*
      170 Upper Bukit Timah Road
      #11-04 Bukit Timah Shopping Centre
      Singapore 588179

      Sutta translation: http://dharmafarer.org

    • Frank K
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2013
        Dear Piya,

        This book looks like it's out of print. Amazon sells it for $70 USA
        dollars. Is there any plan to publish it as an ebook?

        Not long ago I asked Rod at Suttacentral about Worldtipitaka's Thai canon
        being offline. It's a known issue, he doesn't know when they will be back
        online, but that he hoped Suttacentral would have an alternative within a
        few weeks.

        Digital Pali reader has the thai tipitaka as an optional download, I don't
        know if it's the same version as World Tipitaka.

        Speaking of digital tipitaka's, I wonder why everyone doesn't get together,
        put the Burmese, Thai, Sri Lankan and whatever other pali versions of the
        tipitaka in one central repository, so it would be easy to have online
        tools that for example show in color the textual differences between the
        different tipitaka's.