Re: [Pali] All of that is considered Jhāna ?

  • Kumara Bhikkhu
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2013
      I was confused by your referencing though. How did you get "1.382" for example?
      On NDB, it's AN 1.53. Going by PTS, it's A I.11.

      kb

      Kumara Bhikkhu wrote thus at 04:06 PM 05-01-13:
      >The reason is clear to me, since (for me) jhana simply means meditation.
      >
      >I've included this in my book on jhana and
      >samadhi. It's still growing as more evidences
      >and ideas to connect them come up. I hope I don't spend my whole life on this!
      >
      >Frank K wrote thus at 08:11 AM 22-12-12:
      >>Dear Pali friends,
      >>
      >>This part is interesting.
      >>I'm reading B.Bodhi's new AN translations book right now.
      >>
      >>from AN 1.382 to AN 1.554, it seems to qualify many activities as being
      >>"jhāna",
      >>for example, AN 1.382 - AN 1.393
      >
      ><snip>
    • Gerard
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2013
        Interesting in this connection are the ideas about meditation and jhana of the American monk Vimalaramsi (dhammasukha.org).

        According to him the idea of jhana as absorption, or even, concentration meditation, which is, in vipassana-circles, the common vue, is utterly false. It is based on the commentaries, he says, in particular on the Visuddhimagga, but not on the Sutta’s.

        Metta,

        Gerard Blok,
        Amsterdam

        The reason is clear to me, since (for me) jhana simply means meditation.

        I've included this in my book on jhana and
        samadhi. It's still growing as more evidences and
        ideas to connect them come up. I hope I don't spend my whole life on this!

        Frank K wrote thus at 08:11 AM 22-12-12:
        >Dear Pali friends,
        >
        >This part is interesting.
        >I'm reading B.Bodhi's new AN translations book right now.
        >
        >from AN 1.382 to AN 1.554, it seems to qualify many activities as being
        >"jhāna",
        >for example, AN 1.382 - AN 1.393

      • Kumara Bhikkhu
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2013
          I fully agree with that. Richard Shankman's book
          "The Experience of Samadhi" made this very clear
          and convincing. Theravada (Visuddhimagga) jhana
          is not the same as Early Buddhist (Sutta) jhana.

          For a Theravadin diehard, It's a pretty difficult pill to swallow!

          kb

          Gerard wrote thus at 06:58 PM 05-01-13:
          >Interesting in this connection are the ideas
          >about meditation and jhana of the American monk Vimalaramsi (dhammasukha.org).
          >
          >According to him the idea of jhana as
          >absorption, or even, concentration meditation,
          >which is, in vipassana-circles, the common vue,
          >is utterly false. It is based on the
          >commentaries, he says, in particular on the
          >Visuddhimagga, but not on the Sutta’s.
          >
          >Metta,
          >
          >Gerard Blok,
          >Amsterdam

        • Frank K
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 11, 2013
            Dear Ven. KB,
            With the Pali sutta description of jhāna, 16 steps of ānāpāna, etc., being
            so terse, it's hard to know exactly what the Buddha's instructions on jhāna
            actually entails. So it may be that what constitutes jhāna is broader than
            we may think. But even using an attitude of keeping the definition broad
            and open, it still seems that the Vism. is describing a different practice
            for development of jhāna than the terse Pali sutta passages. Another
            example of the Buddha's terse instructions being frustratingly lacking in
            detail is the development of knowledge and vision, especially the 3 higher
            knowledges. In one of the suttas on iddhipada, the Buddha said a couple
            lines on developing the perception of light, in all directions, so night is
            like day, day is like night. And the next line he is talking about the
            supernormal powers already, with no details on how one gets there. Whatever
            problems people have with Vism., you have to give them credit for the fact
            that using the detailed instructions in the Vism. on Jhāna and supernormal
            power, there are practitioners today who were able to do it.

            metta,
            frank