All of that is considered Jhāna?

  • Frank K
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 21, 2012
      Dear Pali friends,

      This part is interesting.
      I'm reading B.Bodhi's new AN translations book right now.

      from AN 1.382 to AN 1.554, it seems to qualify many activities as being
      "jhāna",
      for example, AN 1.382 - AN 1.393

      382*.* “accharāsaṅghātamattampi ce, bhikkhave, bhikkhu paṭhamaṃ jhānaṃ
      bhāveti, ayaṃ vuccati, bhikkhave — ‘bhikkhu arittajjhāno viharati,
      satthusāsanakaro ovādapatikaro, amoghaṃ raṭṭhapiṇḍaṃ bhuñjati’. ko pana vādo
      ye naṃ bahulīkarontī”ti!

      ♦ 383-389*.* “accharāsaṅghātamattampi ce, bhikkhave, bhikkhu dutiyaṃ jhānaṃ
      bhāveti ... pe ... tatiyaṃ jhānaṃ bhāveti ... pe ... catutthaṃ jhānaṃ
      bhāveti ... pe ... mettaṃ cetovimuttiṃ bhāveti ... pe ... karuṇaṃ
      cetovimuttiṃ bhāveti ... pe ... muditaṃ cetovimuttiṃ bhāveti ... pe ...
      upekkhaṃ cetovimuttiṃ bhāveti ... pe ....

      ♦ 390-393*.* kāye kāyānupassī viharati ātāpī sampajāno satimā vineyya loke
      abhijjhādomanassaṃ; vedanāsu vedanānupassī viharati ... pe ... citte
      cittānupassī viharati ... pe ... dhammesu dhammānupassī viharati ātāpī
      sampajāno satimā vineyya loke abhijjhādomanassaṃ.

      up to AN 1.564, they all share, if I'm interpreting the "pe" and ellisions
      correctly, this ending clause of "... he is called a bhikkhu who is not
      devoid of jhāna ..."
      In the noble eightfold path, sammā samādhi is defined as the 4 jhānas, but
      how should we understand the "not being devoid of jhāna" as it's used in
      these AN passages?

      metta,
      Frank

    • Chanida
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 23, 2012
        Dear Frank,

        This is interesting.

        I think that in each of such practices, the practitioner's mind must be in some state of concentration, otherwise the practice cannot be done.

        The level of concentration in each practice can be different, but is still considered jhaana, even though it may be just momentary jhaana.

        Please correct me if I am wrong.

        Metta,
        Chanida

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 31, 2012
          Dear Chanida and Frank,
          Op 24-dec-2012, om 7:37 heeft Chanida het volgende geschreven:

          > I think that in each of such practices, the practitioner's mind
          > must be in some state of concentration, otherwise the practice
          > cannot be done.
          ------
          N: As I understand, it is always right understanding that is
          foremost, also when developing samatha to the stage of jhaana. If one
          does not know the citta that arises, kusala or akusala, how could one
          develop samatha.
          As to the development of vipassanaa, insight, understanding of
          whatever appears now is developed, so that one knows that it is just
          a reality, a dhamma. Lobha may appear: it is just a reality. Sadness
          may appear: it is just a reality, a dhamma. It is not owned by a
          person, there is no person there. Visible object appears: it is only
          a dhamma, not a person in the visible object. Very gradually we can
          understand what anattaa means.
          I cannot read the quoted text by Frank, it is all warbled. Neither
          can I look up the text since I do not have yet Venerable Bodhi's
          translation.

        • Chanida
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 31, 2012
            Dear Nina and Frank,

            Thanks for your comment, Nina. If you have access to a PTS edition of the Pali canon, I give book and page reference below so that you know which passage Frank referred to.

            If I understood Frank correctly, his question involves the compound 'arittajjhaano' (not devoid of jhaana) in the stock phrase "Arittajjhaano viharati satthusaasanakaro ovaadapatikaro amogha.m ra.t.thapi.n.da.m bhu~njati" in Jhaana-vagga of AN volume I (AN I 38-43). Here the Buddha said that a monk who pursues/develops any of the following practices, even for a brief moment, is called 'a monk who is not devoid of jhaana, who acts upon the teaching of the Teacher, who responds to his advice, who does not eat the country's almsfood in vain.' The practices mentioned are: any level of the four jhaanas, mettaa cetovimutti or else upto upekkkhaa cetovimutti, any of the four foundations of mindfulness, chanda and viriya in regard to any of the four padhaanas (sa.mvara-padhaana, pahaana-padhaana, bhaavanaa-padhaana and anurakkhanaa-padhaana), etc.

            The same expression is found in AN I 10-11, where the same is said for a monk who pursues/develops metta-citta.

            You can find these in Syamra.t.tha edition vol. 20 p. 20 and pp.50-55 and in MMR Thai translation of Pali canon and commentaries book 32 pp.106-107 and book 33, pp.214-219.

            Frank asked whether all those practices can be considered 'jhaana' as expressed by the compound 'arittajjhaano.' (Frank, please correct me if I misunderstood your question.) My answer was that probably the term 'jhaana' in the compound refers, not directly to those practices, but to the level of necessary concentration associated with those practices.

            Here, I think the right view is already assumed, and the practices already right-practices. Otherwise the Buddha would not have praised the practitioner (monk) who pursues such practices as "satthu saasanakaro ovaadapatikaro amogha.m ra.t.thapi.n.da.m bhu~njati"

            I wish you and all a Happy New Year. :)

            Metta,
            Chanida
          • Frank K
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 2, 2013
              Dear Chanida and NIna and all,

              Earlier in AN 1.53 (English is bodhi trans.)
              AN 1.53: “Bhikkhus, if for just the time of a finger snap a bhikkhu pursues
              a mind of loving-kindness, he is called a bhikkhu who is not devoid of
              jhāna, who acts upon the teaching of the Teacher, who responds to his
              advice, and who does not eat the country’s almsfood in vain. How much
              more, then, those who cultivate it!”

              At that point as I was reading, it wasn't so puzzling, since metta bhāvana
              is a well known way to launch into first jhāna.

              At AN 1.382, it starts off reasonably enough, with the four jhanas as the
              objects of not "being devoid of jhāna", then mentions not just mettā
              bhāvana but all 4 brahmavihāras. Then it mentions the 4 satipatthana, 4
              aspects of right effort, all part o the samādhi group, so again not too
              surprising and still closely related to jhāna. Then it starts to enumerate
              more topics under "not devoid of jhana", what seems like most of the 37
              bodhipakkiya, and then even 10 kasinas for samatha development, vipassana
              themes, and it seems like everything and the kitchen sink.

              So what is meant by these passages on Jhāna?

              These are the possibilities I can think of:

              1. jhāna is meant here as meditation in general, and not specifically
              sammā samādhi definition for four jhānas.
              2. jhāna (as sammā samādhi) is a prerequisite to bring all of those
              meditation topics mention to their culmination.
              3. sammā samādhi, jhāna and the entirety of the eightfold noble path are
              closely intertwined, so that no part of the buddha's system of practice can
              be devoid of jhāna (sammā samādhi) if one expects to succeed.

              But none of those explanations feels very satisfying. Sometimes the suttas
              seem amazingly precise and specific, and other times like this example,
              vague and confounding.

              p.s. Nina, I posted my original question and this post as well on this page
              here in case the pali diacritics don't appear properly.

              https://sites.google.com/a/audtip.org/pali/pali-discussion-group-questions

              Metta,

              frank

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 5, 2013
                Dear Pali friends,

                A very happy new year.

                You can also read something about what Chanida has stated below in Gethin,
                "The Buddhist Path of Awakening," 2001: 269, where he says the list totals
                191 objects of meditation (Bodhi's latest tr of Anguttara however says the
                list is only 181 (A:B 1.394-574), ie the whole of the Accharra Sa.gghaa.ta
                Vagga.

                Aside, I wonder by the "World Tipitaka" of Bangkok is now offline.
                Previously, we click here:
                http://studies.worldtipitaka.org/
                we are able to access this excellent Tipitaka website. I hope it will get
                back online, or better, have a CD version like CSCD.

                With metta,

                Piya

                --
                *hp (65) 8211 0879*

                *The Minding Centre*
                170 Upper Bukit Timah Road
                #11-04 Bukit Timah Shopping Centre
                Singapore 588179

                Sutta translation: http://dharmafarer.org

              • Frank K
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 6, 2013
                  Dear Piya,

                  This book looks like it's out of print. Amazon sells it for $70 USA
                  dollars. Is there any plan to publish it as an ebook?
                  http://www.amazon.com/The-Buddhist-Path-Awakening-Bodhi-Pakkhiya/dp/1851682856/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1357487408&sr=8-7&keywords=The+Buddhist+Path+of+Awakening

                  Not long ago I asked Rod at Suttacentral about Worldtipitaka's Thai canon
                  being offline. It's a known issue, he doesn't know when they will be back
                  online, but that he hoped Suttacentral would have an alternative within a
                  few weeks.

                  Digital Pali reader has the thai tipitaka as an optional download, I don't
                  know if it's the same version as World Tipitaka.

                  Speaking of digital tipitaka's, I wonder why everyone doesn't get together,
                  put the Burmese, Thai, Sri Lankan and whatever other pali versions of the
                  tipitaka in one central repository, so it would be easy to have online
                  tools that for example show in color the textual differences between the
                  different tipitaka's.

                  metta,
                  Frank