Re: [Pali] Re: Paali - a name of the language, Loubere's book

  • Bryan Levman
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 15, 2012
      Dear Oxy

      Thanks for the reference to La Loubère's book; I didn't realize it was available on line from the Bibliothèque Nationale de France, - and yes it appears he calls it "Balie" not Pāli,

      Mettā, Bryan

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 15, 2012
        Oxydymaxion wrote:

        >He wrote (quote): "On leur enseigne aussi la langue Balie,..." (I am not
        >willing to >translate it.)

        It's shorter in English:

        "They are also taught Pali"

        Best wishes,
        Stephen Hodge
      • Bhikkhu Analayo
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 20, 2012
          a relevant publication regarding the topic of Paali as the name of a language would also be

          Crosby, Kate 2004: "The Origin of Paali as a Language Name in Medieval Theravaada Literature", Journal of the Center for Buddhist Studies, Sri Lanka, 2: 70-116.

          available on her webpage http://www.soas.ac.uk/staff/staff30813.php

          with mettaa

          Anaalayo

          >He wrote (quote): "On leur enseigne aussi la langue Balie,..." (I am not
          >willing to >translate it.)

          It's shorter in English:

          "They are also taught Pali"

          Best wishes,