Re: Paali - a name of the language

  • dymaxion
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 14, 2012
      > It would appear that the first usage of "Pāli" to mean a particular language was in the sixteenth century by Simon de la Loubère. Further details are in Norman's book.

      The first usage of "Paali" to mean a particular language in Europe was not the first usage of "Paali" to mean a particular language in Asia.
      Besides, he wrote "Balie" and not "Paali". He wrote (quote): "On leur enseigne aussi la langue Balie,..." (I am not willing to translate it.)

      oxy

      http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k5415972c.image.f121
    • Bryan Levman
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 15, 2012
        Dear Oxy

        Thanks for the reference to La Loubère's book; I didn't realize it was available on line from the Bibliothèque Nationale de France, - and yes it appears he calls it "Balie" not Pāli,

        Mettā, Bryan

        ________________________________
        > It would appear that the first usage of "Pāli" to mean a particular language was in the sixteenth century by Simon de la Loubère. Further details are in Norman's book.

        The first usage of "Paali" to mean a particular language in Europe was not the first usage of "Paali" to mean a particular language in Asia.
        Besides, he wrote "Balie" and not "Paali". He wrote (quote): "On leur enseigne aussi la langue Balie,..." (I am not willing to translate it.)

        oxy

        http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k5415972c.image.f121

      • Stephen Hodge
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 15, 2012
          Oxydymaxion wrote:

          >He wrote (quote): "On leur enseigne aussi la langue Balie,..." (I am not
          >willing to >translate it.)

          It's shorter in English:

          "They are also taught Pali"

          Best wishes,
          Stephen Hodge
        • Bhikkhu Analayo
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 20, 2012
            a relevant publication regarding the topic of Paali as the name of a language would also be

            Crosby, Kate 2004: "The Origin of Paali as a Language Name in Medieval Theravaada Literature", Journal of the Center for Buddhist Studies, Sri Lanka, 2: 70-116.

            available on her webpage http://www.soas.ac.uk/staff/staff30813.php

            with mettaa

            Anaalayo

            >He wrote (quote): "On leur enseigne aussi la langue Balie,..." (I am not
            >willing to >translate it.)

            It's shorter in English:

            "They are also taught Pali"

            Best wishes,