Re: Paali - a name of the language

  • Dhivan Thomas Jones
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 8, 2012
      Dear Oxy and Pali group,

      Just in case you haven't come across it, there is a relevant article by Kate Crosby (2003) '�The Origin of the Language Name Pali in Medieval Theravada Literature� in Journal of Buddhist Studies, vol. 2, which traces the use of the word 'Pali' as a name for the language back through Theravada literature.

      Best wishes
      Dhivan

    • dymaxion
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 14, 2012
        > It would appear that the first usage of "Pāli" to mean a particular language was in the sixteenth century by Simon de la Loubère. Further details are in Norman's book.

        The first usage of "Paali" to mean a particular language in Europe was not the first usage of "Paali" to mean a particular language in Asia.
        Besides, he wrote "Balie" and not "Paali". He wrote (quote): "On leur enseigne aussi la langue Balie,..." (I am not willing to translate it.)

        oxy

        http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k5415972c.image.f121
      • Bryan Levman
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 15, 2012
          Dear Oxy

          Thanks for the reference to La Loubère's book; I didn't realize it was available on line from the Bibliothèque Nationale de France, - and yes it appears he calls it "Balie" not Pāli,

          Mettā, Bryan

          ________________________________
          > It would appear that the first usage of "Pāli" to mean a particular language was in the sixteenth century by Simon de la Loubère. Further details are in Norman's book.

          The first usage of "Paali" to mean a particular language in Europe was not the first usage of "Paali" to mean a particular language in Asia.
          Besides, he wrote "Balie" and not "Paali". He wrote (quote): "On leur enseigne aussi la langue Balie,..." (I am not willing to translate it.)

          oxy

          http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k5415972c.image.f121

        • Stephen Hodge
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 15, 2012
            Oxydymaxion wrote:

            >He wrote (quote): "On leur enseigne aussi la langue Balie,..." (I am not
            >willing to >translate it.)

            It's shorter in English:

            "They are also taught Pali"

            Best wishes,
            Stephen Hodge
          • Bhikkhu Analayo
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 20, 2012
              a relevant publication regarding the topic of Paali as the name of a language would also be

              Crosby, Kate 2004: "The Origin of Paali as a Language Name in Medieval Theravaada Literature", Journal of the Center for Buddhist Studies, Sri Lanka, 2: 70-116.

              available on her webpage http://www.soas.ac.uk/staff/staff30813.php

              with mettaa

              Anaalayo

              >He wrote (quote): "On leur enseigne aussi la langue Balie,..." (I am not
              >willing to >translate it.)

              It's shorter in English:

              "They are also taught Pali"

              Best wishes,