Re: [Pali] Paali - a name of the language

  • Bryan Levman
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 8, 2012
      Dear Oxy,

      According to Norman, Pāli Literature (1983: 1):

      "The word pāli is found in the chronicles and the commentaries upon the canon, but there is has the meaning "canon" and is used in the sense of a canonical text or phrase as opposed to the commentary (aṭṭhakathā) upon it. The usage is made clear by the fact that the word pāli alternates with tanti."

      Norman gives a number of examples in the footnotes from the
      Mahāvaṃsa, the Visuddhimagga and the commentaries. So the word in this
      usage probably dates from about the 5th century C. E.

      Also from Norman: "It would seem that the name "Pāli" is based upon a misunderstanding of the compound pāli-bhāsā "language of the canon," where the word pāli was taken to stand for the name of a particular bhāsā, as a result of which the word was applied to the language of both canon and commentaries..."

      It would appear that the first usage of "Pāli" to mean a particular language was in the sixteenth century by Simon de la Loubère. Further details are in Norman's book.

      See also von Hinüber, Handbook of Pāli Literature, 1996, §203.

      Metta,

      Bryan

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 8, 2012
        Dear Oxy and Pali group,

        Just in case you haven't come across it, there is a relevant article by Kate Crosby (2003) '�The Origin of the Language Name Pali in Medieval Theravada Literature� in Journal of Buddhist Studies, vol. 2, which traces the use of the word 'Pali' as a name for the language back through Theravada literature.

        Best wishes
        Dhivan

      • dymaxion
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 14, 2012
          > It would appear that the first usage of "Pāli" to mean a particular language was in the sixteenth century by Simon de la Loubère. Further details are in Norman's book.

          The first usage of "Paali" to mean a particular language in Europe was not the first usage of "Paali" to mean a particular language in Asia.
          Besides, he wrote "Balie" and not "Paali". He wrote (quote): "On leur enseigne aussi la langue Balie,..." (I am not willing to translate it.)

          oxy

          http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k5415972c.image.f121
        • Bryan Levman
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 15, 2012
            Dear Oxy

            Thanks for the reference to La Loubère's book; I didn't realize it was available on line from the Bibliothèque Nationale de France, - and yes it appears he calls it "Balie" not Pāli,

            Mettā, Bryan

            ________________________________
            > It would appear that the first usage of "Pāli" to mean a particular language was in the sixteenth century by Simon de la Loubère. Further details are in Norman's book.

            The first usage of "Paali" to mean a particular language in Europe was not the first usage of "Paali" to mean a particular language in Asia.
            Besides, he wrote "Balie" and not "Paali". He wrote (quote): "On leur enseigne aussi la langue Balie,..." (I am not willing to translate it.)

            oxy

            http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k5415972c.image.f121

          • Stephen Hodge
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 15, 2012
              Oxydymaxion wrote:

              >He wrote (quote): "On leur enseigne aussi la langue Balie,..." (I am not
              >willing to >translate it.)

              It's shorter in English:

              "They are also taught Pali"

              Best wishes,
              Stephen Hodge
            • Bhikkhu Analayo
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 20, 2012
                a relevant publication regarding the topic of Paali as the name of a language would also be

                Crosby, Kate 2004: "The Origin of Paali as a Language Name in Medieval Theravaada Literature", Journal of the Center for Buddhist Studies, Sri Lanka, 2: 70-116.

                available on her webpage http://www.soas.ac.uk/staff/staff30813.php

                with mettaa

                Anaalayo

                >He wrote (quote): "On leur enseigne aussi la langue Balie,..." (I am not
                >willing to >translate it.)

                It's shorter in English:

                "They are also taught Pali"

                Best wishes,