Re: [Pali] Pali dictionary for Microsoft Word

  • Kumara Bhikkhu
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2012
      Yes, and so it would probably be significantly larger than the
      in-built English spelling dictionary. Wonder if having that loaded
      onto the memory would slow down the system.

      Stephen Hodge wrote thus at 10:54 PM 02-11-12:
      >Dear Frank,
      >
      >I presume you mean some thing that checks your spelling, not spells for
      >witches.
      >
      >The problem with this is that one would need to note all the various changes
      >for sandhi in compounds (vowels, doubling of consonants etc) -- which are
      >very long, made up of many words, and one might need to include all of
      >these. Then there is also the more basic problem of the vibhaktis (the
      >noun/adj and verbs endings). To create such a spelling checker, I think one
      >perhaps would first need to lemmatize the entire Pali canon ~ which is
      >do-able. Similar lemmatized data-bases exist for large Sanskrit texts such
      >as the Mahabharata and the Ramayana.
      >
      >Best wishes,
      >Stephen Hodge

    • frank k
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 5, 2012
        Dear Stephen,

        How complete is CPED as far as the lemmitizations? There are digital
        versions of CPED, I imagine it wouldn't be hard to convert it into an MS
        word dictionary. If no one else does, I'll make an attempt to do this
        conversion sometime next year.

        Does anyone know if the open office writer dictionary is the same format as
        MS word? It would be nice if it is. I can convert the CPED into both
        formats, but it's better if it's just one, so that as people make additions
        to the dictionary it will work for both.

        Metta,
        Frank

        On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Stephen Hodge <s.hodge@...