Pali dictionary for Microsoft Word

  • Stephen Hodge
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2012
      Dear Frank,

      I presume you mean some thing that checks your spelling, not spells for
      witches.

      The problem with this is that one would need to note all the various changes
      for sandhi in compounds (vowels, doubling of consonants etc) -- which are
      very long, made up of many words, and one might need to include all of
      these. Then there is also the more basic problem of the vibhaktis (the
      noun/adj and verbs endings). To create such a spelling checker, I think one
      perhaps would first need to lemmatize the entire Pali canon ~ which is
      do-able. Similar lemmatized data-bases exist for large Sanskrit texts such
      as the Mahabharata and the Ramayana.

      Best wishes,
      Stephen Hodge

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2012
        Yes, and so it would probably be significantly larger than the
        in-built English spelling dictionary. Wonder if having that loaded
        onto the memory would slow down the system.

        Stephen Hodge wrote thus at 10:54 PM 02-11-12:
        >Dear Frank,
        >
        >I presume you mean some thing that checks your spelling, not spells for
        >witches.
        >
        >The problem with this is that one would need to note all the various changes
        >for sandhi in compounds (vowels, doubling of consonants etc) -- which are
        >very long, made up of many words, and one might need to include all of
        >these. Then there is also the more basic problem of the vibhaktis (the
        >noun/adj and verbs endings). To create such a spelling checker, I think one
        >perhaps would first need to lemmatize the entire Pali canon ~ which is
        >do-able. Similar lemmatized data-bases exist for large Sanskrit texts such
        >as the Mahabharata and the Ramayana.
        >
        >Best wishes,
        >Stephen Hodge

      • frank k
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 5, 2012
          Dear Stephen,

          How complete is CPED as far as the lemmitizations? There are digital
          versions of CPED, I imagine it wouldn't be hard to convert it into an MS
          word dictionary. If no one else does, I'll make an attempt to do this
          conversion sometime next year.

          Does anyone know if the open office writer dictionary is the same format as
          MS word? It would be nice if it is. I can convert the CPED into both
          formats, but it's better if it's just one, so that as people make additions
          to the dictionary it will work for both.

          Metta,
          Frank

          On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Stephen Hodge <s.hodge@...