vocabulary learning?, Gair & Karunatillake

  • skajames
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2012
      I've started out learning with Gair & Karaunatillake's *A New Course in Reading Pali". It seems obvious that one is supposed to learn all of the grammar in a lesson before moving on to the next. But what about the vocabulary, of which there seems to be an endless supply? Is there a list of words that recur from lesson to lesson or are so common as to merit learning?

      More generally, it seems probable that the book is intended for use in colleges and universities. Does anyone on the list know what sort of timing is envisioned: hours/lesson, lessons/week, weeks/course? I'm sure the book offers a solid foundation, but without some sort of guidance on timing the temptation is to rush through it too quickly or to creep along at a snail's pace.

      James
    • Larry Rosenfeld
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6, 2012
        Hey James - in case it might be of some initial use, I created a couple
        of quizlet quizzes for the first two G & K chapters at
        http://quizlet.com/Larry_Rosenfeld . As you suggest, the material does
        seem to lend itself to rote memorization techniques. - Larry