Re: Samyutta Index & Reference Number Conversion Table

  • thomaslaw03
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 7 10:23 PM
      Dear Bhikkhu Kumara,

      SN 21 belongs also to Sagathavagga (Bhikkhu Bodhi, The Connected Discourses of the Buddha, vol. 1, p. 532). Thus, it should be moved back to the original collection of SN 1-11.

      SN 22, 35, 14, 56, 48, 12, 47, 49, 51, 46, 45 are the same subjects of Vibhaga etc. (R.M.L Gethin, The Buddhist Path to Awakening, p. 278), and also the dhamma subjects frequently presented in the Suttapitaka. It seems to me that these SN sutta-collections belong to the very core teachings of the historical Buddha.

      Any advice?

      Sincerely,

      Thomas Law

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Kumara Bhikkhu <kumara.bhikkhu@...> wrote:

      > You're welcome, Bryan. You can print it out and
      > stick it in the inside front/back cover of your
      > CDB. Let me know if you spot any errors. (I've
      > made 2 very minor corrections. Some wouldn't
      > consider them errors; just preference.)
      >
      > Bryan Levman wrote thus at 07:47 PM 21-08-12:
      > >Dear Ven. Kumara,
      > >
      > >Thanks very much; I'm sure it will be very useful,
      > >
      > >Bryan
      > >

      > >________________________________

    • Kumara Bhikkhu
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 9 1:53 AM
        I do believe that the Sutta Pitaka that we have now evolved from a
        set of samyuttas. I quite agree with Ajahn Sujato's General
        Integrated Sutta Theory (GIST). It's based on the Chinese records.
        The MN apparently came about only in the 2nd sangiti, and The
        (Maha)Satipatthana Sutta is a patchwork that got attributed to the
        Buddha. (I digress.)

        You don't mean to have the table corrected to reflect that, do you?

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 9 7:35 AM
          Dear Thomas,thank you for your contribution and all the references
          you have given.
          Op 8-sep-2012, om 7:23 heeft thomaslaw03 het volgende geschreven:
          > SN 21 belongs also to Sagathavagga (Bhikkhu Bodhi, The Connected
          > Discourses of the Buddha, vol. 1, p. 532). Thus, it should be moved
          > back to the original collection of SN 1-11.

          ----------
          N: Yes, all over the Pali texts there are doubles, or triples or more
          of the same text. This is, as I see it, no problem at all. It is good
          to read repetitions in different contexts. It can give us extra
          reminders of the truth, not to be forgetful of realities, dhammas,
          appearing at this moment. Is this not the purpose of our study? Our
          purpose is not just book knowledge, but knowing the dhammas of our
          daily life. As for me, I cannot hear the same text often enough. I
          also appreciate it to read it in different contexts, this can deepen
          our understanding.
          -----
          Nina.
        • Kumara Bhikkhu
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 9 8:26 PM
            Nina, I think you didn't get what he was trying to say. Please refer
            to BB's comment on CDB.