Re: [Pali] Samyutta Index & Reference Number Conversion Table

  • Bryan Levman
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 21, 2012
      Dear Ven. Kumara,

      Thanks very much; I'm sure it will be very useful,

      Bryan

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 21, 2012
        You're welcome, Bryan. You can print it out and
        stick it in the inside front/back cover of your
        CDB. Let me know if you spot any errors. (I've
        made 2 very minor corrections. Some wouldn't
        consider them errors; just preference.)

        Bryan Levman wrote thus at 07:47 PM 21-08-12:
        >Dear Ven. Kumara,
        >
        >Thanks very much; I'm sure it will be very useful,
        >
        >Bryan
        >

        >________________________________

      • thomaslaw03
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 7, 2012
          Dear Bhikkhu Kumara,

          SN 21 belongs also to Sagathavagga (Bhikkhu Bodhi, The Connected Discourses of the Buddha, vol. 1, p. 532). Thus, it should be moved back to the original collection of SN 1-11.

          SN 22, 35, 14, 56, 48, 12, 47, 49, 51, 46, 45 are the same subjects of Vibhaga etc. (R.M.L Gethin, The Buddhist Path to Awakening, p. 278), and also the dhamma subjects frequently presented in the Suttapitaka. It seems to me that these SN sutta-collections belong to the very core teachings of the historical Buddha.

          Any advice?

          Sincerely,

          Thomas Law

          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Kumara Bhikkhu <kumara.bhikkhu@...> wrote:

          > You're welcome, Bryan. You can print it out and
          > stick it in the inside front/back cover of your
          > CDB. Let me know if you spot any errors. (I've
          > made 2 very minor corrections. Some wouldn't
          > consider them errors; just preference.)
          >
          > Bryan Levman wrote thus at 07:47 PM 21-08-12:
          > >Dear Ven. Kumara,
          > >
          > >Thanks very much; I'm sure it will be very useful,
          > >
          > >Bryan
          > >

          > >________________________________

        • Kumara Bhikkhu
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 9, 2012
            I do believe that the Sutta Pitaka that we have now evolved from a
            set of samyuttas. I quite agree with Ajahn Sujato's General
            Integrated Sutta Theory (GIST). It's based on the Chinese records.
            The MN apparently came about only in the 2nd sangiti, and The
            (Maha)Satipatthana Sutta is a patchwork that got attributed to the
            Buddha. (I digress.)

            You don't mean to have the table corrected to reflect that, do you?

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 9, 2012
              Dear Thomas,thank you for your contribution and all the references
              you have given.
              Op 8-sep-2012, om 7:23 heeft thomaslaw03 het volgende geschreven:
              > SN 21 belongs also to Sagathavagga (Bhikkhu Bodhi, The Connected
              > Discourses of the Buddha, vol. 1, p. 532). Thus, it should be moved
              > back to the original collection of SN 1-11.

              ----------
              N: Yes, all over the Pali texts there are doubles, or triples or more
              of the same text. This is, as I see it, no problem at all. It is good
              to read repetitions in different contexts. It can give us extra
              reminders of the truth, not to be forgetful of realities, dhammas,
              appearing at this moment. Is this not the purpose of our study? Our
              purpose is not just book knowledge, but knowing the dhammas of our
              daily life. As for me, I cannot hear the same text often enough. I
              also appreciate it to read it in different contexts, this can deepen
              our understanding.
              -----
              Nina.
            • Kumara Bhikkhu
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 9, 2012
                Nina, I think you didn't get what he was trying to say. Please refer
                to BB's comment on CDB.