Re: Samyutta Index & Reference Number Conversion Table

  • Kumara Bhikkhu
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 20, 2012
      I forgot to add that it's not a finalised copy. Please don't put it
      on any websites yet. If you have forwarded the mail, please forward this too.

      Let me know if you spot any errors.

      Kumara Bhikkhu wrote thus at 03:40 PM 20-08-12:
      >I created the attached for my own benefit, but I think some others
      >could make use of it too. It's a vast improvement over the earlier
      >"Samyutta Number Conversion Table".
      >
      >kb

    • Kumara Bhikkhu
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 20, 2012
        Ah, yes. No attachments allowed on this forum.
        Maybe the owner could consider a change of policy
        for convenience sake. Besides, the file section has become quite messy.

        You can get it here:
        http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/17135380/1051236624/name/Samyutta%20Index%20%26amp%3B%20Reference%20Number%20Conversion%20Table.

        It's not a finalised copy, so please don't put it
        on any website yet. Feedback is highly welcome.

        kb

        Bryan Levman wrote thus at 09:26 PM 20-08-12:
        >Dear Ven. Kumara,
        >
        >The attachment didn't seem to come through on my email. How do I access it?
        >
        >Bryan
        >

        >________________________________

      • Bryan Levman
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 21, 2012
          Dear Ven. Kumara,

          Thanks very much; I'm sure it will be very useful,

          Bryan

          ________________________________
          Ah, yes. No attachments allowed on this forum.
          Maybe the owner could consider a change of policy
          for convenience sake. Besides, the file section has become quite messy.

          You can get it here:
          http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/17135380/1051236624/name/Samyutta%20Index%20%26amp%3B%20Reference%20Number%20Conversion%20Table.

          It's not a finalised copy, so please don't put it
          on any website yet. Feedback is highly welcome.

          kb

          Bryan Levman wrote thus at 09:26 PM 20-08-12:
          >Dear Ven. Kumara,
          >
          >The attachment didn't seem to come through on my email. How do I access it?
          >
          >Bryan
          >

          >________________________________

        • Kumara Bhikkhu
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 21, 2012
            You're welcome, Bryan. You can print it out and
            stick it in the inside front/back cover of your
            CDB. Let me know if you spot any errors. (I've
            made 2 very minor corrections. Some wouldn't
            consider them errors; just preference.)

            Bryan Levman wrote thus at 07:47 PM 21-08-12:
            >Dear Ven. Kumara,
            >
            >Thanks very much; I'm sure it will be very useful,
            >
            >Bryan
            >

            >________________________________

          • thomaslaw03
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 7, 2012
              Dear Bhikkhu Kumara,

              SN 21 belongs also to Sagathavagga (Bhikkhu Bodhi, The Connected Discourses of the Buddha, vol. 1, p. 532). Thus, it should be moved back to the original collection of SN 1-11.

              SN 22, 35, 14, 56, 48, 12, 47, 49, 51, 46, 45 are the same subjects of Vibhaga etc. (R.M.L Gethin, The Buddhist Path to Awakening, p. 278), and also the dhamma subjects frequently presented in the Suttapitaka. It seems to me that these SN sutta-collections belong to the very core teachings of the historical Buddha.

              Any advice?

              Sincerely,

              Thomas Law

              --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Kumara Bhikkhu <kumara.bhikkhu@...> wrote:

              > You're welcome, Bryan. You can print it out and
              > stick it in the inside front/back cover of your
              > CDB. Let me know if you spot any errors. (I've
              > made 2 very minor corrections. Some wouldn't
              > consider them errors; just preference.)
              >
              > Bryan Levman wrote thus at 07:47 PM 21-08-12:
              > >Dear Ven. Kumara,
              > >
              > >Thanks very much; I'm sure it will be very useful,
              > >
              > >Bryan
              > >

              > >________________________________

            • Kumara Bhikkhu
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 9, 2012
                I do believe that the Sutta Pitaka that we have now evolved from a
                set of samyuttas. I quite agree with Ajahn Sujato's General
                Integrated Sutta Theory (GIST). It's based on the Chinese records.
                The MN apparently came about only in the 2nd sangiti, and The
                (Maha)Satipatthana Sutta is a patchwork that got attributed to the
                Buddha. (I digress.)

                You don't mean to have the table corrected to reflect that, do you?

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 9, 2012
                  Dear Thomas,thank you for your contribution and all the references
                  you have given.
                  Op 8-sep-2012, om 7:23 heeft thomaslaw03 het volgende geschreven:
                  > SN 21 belongs also to Sagathavagga (Bhikkhu Bodhi, The Connected
                  > Discourses of the Buddha, vol. 1, p. 532). Thus, it should be moved
                  > back to the original collection of SN 1-11.

                  ----------
                  N: Yes, all over the Pali texts there are doubles, or triples or more
                  of the same text. This is, as I see it, no problem at all. It is good
                  to read repetitions in different contexts. It can give us extra
                  reminders of the truth, not to be forgetful of realities, dhammas,
                  appearing at this moment. Is this not the purpose of our study? Our
                  purpose is not just book knowledge, but knowing the dhammas of our
                  daily life. As for me, I cannot hear the same text often enough. I
                  also appreciate it to read it in different contexts, this can deepen
                  our understanding.
                  -----
                  Nina.
                • Kumara Bhikkhu
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 9, 2012
                    Nina, I think you didn't get what he was trying to say. Please refer
                    to BB's comment on CDB.