‘A Reference Handbook of Pali Grammar’

  • pabbatum
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5, 2012
      Hello,

      I'm a struggling beginner level pali student, and have a question please.
      In the lessons that I'm doing which are in the Narada Pali Course I find it very confusing when one has to go back and forth between chapters to look for the right Pali Grammatical Rule to fit a particular sentence situation or type of word, i.e. noun or verb etc.
      I am not very far into the chapters in the book, but I can see that my problem will only get worse as I make more progress and come across more and more rules.
      I've looked at other pali courses and the same problem occurs with them too, in that as an example both A K Warder, and the Lily de Silva, Pali Primer introduce their grammatical rules as the student progresses through the chapters.
      So, what I am wondering is there just like in `An English Grammar Reference' a `Reference Handbook of Pali Grammar'? That one can reference to identify in an alphabetical order these various pali grammatical rules that always occur, and must be used and finally learned.
      Thank you for your help.

      R F Arber
    • Bryan Levman
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 6, 2012
        Dear R F Arber,

        Try Steven Collins' book

        Collins, S. 2005. A Pali Grammar for Students Chiang Mai Thailand: Silkworm Books.

        Also Duroiselle's Grammar comes with the Digital Pali Reader (under "Tools", Miscellaneous Resources). If you don't have it you'll find the DPR very useful for looking up words by clicking on them and sometimes it also gives declensions for common words,

        Best wishes,

        Bryan

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6, 2012
          Thank you Bryan,

          Where do I find "Tools", Miscellaneous Resources please, I don't know my way around the website yet.

          Thank you,

          Robert

          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Levman <bryan.levman@...> wrote:

          > Dear R F Arber,
          >
          > Try Steven Collins' book
          >
          > Collins, S. 2005. A Pali Grammar for Students Chiang Mai Thailand: Silkworm Books.
          >
          > Also Duroiselle's Grammar comes with the Digital Pali Reader (under "Tools", Miscellaneous Resources). If you don't have it you'll find the DPR very useful for looking up words by clicking on them and sometimes it also gives declensions for common words,
          >
          > Best wishes,
          >
          > Bryan
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Kumara Bhikkhu
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 6, 2012
            Maybe you might find help with
            Pali Verb Conjugation and Noun/Pronoun Declension Tables, by Bhikkhu Nyanatusita http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nyanatusita/index.html

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 11, 2012
              Venerable Bhikkhu Kumara,
              thank you very much for this helpful info. Very good of many of us,
              one has to review from time to time.
              With respect,
              Nina.
              Op 7-aug-2012, om 5:54 heeft Kumara Bhikkhu het volgende geschreven:

              > Maybe you might find help with
              > Pali Verb Conjugation and Noun/Pronoun Declension Tables, by
              > Bhikkhu Nyanatusita

            • Bryan Levman
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 11, 2012
                Dear Robert,

                First you must install Digital Pali Reader. It will come up as a sidebar on the left hand side of your web brower. You will see three tabs on top - Navigation, Search and Tools, Click Tools and look down the sidebar again and you will see "Misc. Resources". Click that and Duroiselle's Grammar will come up and some other useful inofrmation,

                Best wishes,

                Bryan

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 12, 2012
                  Dear Bryan,
                  Thank you, I am not so good with DPR but this helps. and all about
                  compounds!
                  Nina.
                  Op 11-aug-2012, om 16:03 heeft Bryan Levman het volgende geschreven: