Re: [Pali] pali onomatopoeia index?

  • Bryan Levman
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 28 9:29 AM
      Dear Frank,

      That is a good observation. Murray Emeneau, A Canadian born linguist specializing in south Asian languages, recognized the same phenomenon and wrote about it in

      M. B. Emeneau, "Onomatopoetics in the Indian Linguistic Area. ", Language, 45 (1969): 274-99. Also Available in Anwar S. Dil,  Language and Linguistic Area (Stanford: Stanford University Press), 250-293.

      He points out that it is found in Dravidian and Munda languages (indigenous languages of India) as well as Middle Indic (i. e. Indo-Aryan languages of Indo European ancestry, i. e. that came originally from outside of India) languages like Pali. He argues that it is a pan-Indic trait, a feature of the Indian linguistic area (also called "Sprachbund"). On page 269-289 he gives a list of onomatopoetic words found in Dravidian and Indo-Aryan that you can look at. Some Skt. and Pali examples he gives are

      budbuda, "bubble"
      miṇmiṇa, "speaking indistinctly throught the nose"
      murumurā "crackling"
      baḍabaḍai, "laments" (Prakrit)
      gaḍavaḍa "confusion" (Prakrit)
      Skt. gargara >P. gaggara, (“roaring”)

      Skt. bharabhara > P. babbhara ( “a confused,
      rumbling sound”) ,

      Pāli cicciṭāyati (“hiss”, “fizz”, “sizzle”),

      to name a few. Prakrit is a form of Middle Indic (of the Indo-Aryan group like Pali).

      Some dictionaries may mention that a word is believed to be OP, but they are never consistent, because it is a personal thing whether a word sounds OP or not. It would certainly be a valuable contribution to try and compile such a list,

      Metta, Bryan

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 24, 2013
        I do agree that such a list would the helpful for beginners. It also makes learning more fun.

        Frank, I suggest that you post this on the Pali section of DhammaWheel, and invite others to add to the list.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Levman <bryan.levman@...> wrote:

        > Dear Frank,
        >
        > That is a good observation. Murray Emeneau, A Canadian born linguist specializing in south Asian languages, recognized the same phenomenon and wrote about it in
        >
        > M. B. Emeneau, "Onomatopoetics in the Indian Linguistic Area. ", Language, 45 (1969): 274-99. Also Available in Anwar S. Dil,  Language and Linguistic Area (Stanford: Stanford University Press), 250-293.
        >
        > He points out that it is found in Dravidian and Munda languages (indigenous languages of India) as well as Middle Indic (i. e. Indo-Aryan languages of Indo European ancestry, i. e. that came originally from outside of India) languages like Pali. He argues that it is a pan-Indic trait, a feature of the Indian linguistic area (also called "Sprachbund"). On page 269-289 he gives a list of onomatopoetic words found in Dravidian and Indo-Aryan that you can look at. Some Skt. and Pali examples he gives are
        >
        > budbuda, "bubble"
        > miṇmiṇa, "speaking indistinctly throught the nose"
        > murumurā "crackling"
        > baḍabaḍai, "laments" (Prakrit)
        > gaḍavaḍa "confusion" (Prakrit)
        > Skt. gargara >P. gaggara, (“roaring”)
        >
        > Skt. bharabhara > P. babbhara ( “a confused,
        > rumbling sound”) ,
        >
        > Pāli cicciṭāyati (“hiss”, “fizz”, “sizzle”),
        >
        > to name a few. Prakrit is a form of Middle Indic (of the Indo-Aryan group like Pali).
        >
        > Some dictionaries may mention that a word is believed to be OP, but they are never consistent, because it is a personal thing whether a word sounds OP or not. It would certainly be a valuable contribution to try and compile such a list,
        >
        > Metta, Bryan

      • Frank K
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 22, 2013

          dear ven. ,
          i ordained as a samanera at tusita in Malaysia.
          will have very little internet access.