Re: Gair Karunatillake

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 27, 2012

      we have to ask if John can reload the file to the group's Files section.

      Alternatively, you can visit this webpage: http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/palidd/#B

      I wanted to reread the suttas in Pali with translations of Gair Karunatillake by John Kelly (palistudent), but I found a notice that this file is empty. We had these suttas on our list around 2002. Can you help?
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 27, 2012
        Thank you. I shall use the link you suggested. His translations are
        very good, worth rereading. We also had some good conversations about
        them. I would not know how to reach John Kelly, after so many years.
        Nina.
        Op 27-jul-2012, om 14:55 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

        > we have to ask if John can reload the file to the group's Files
        > section.
        >
        > Alternatively, you can visit this webpage: http://www.tipitaka.net/
        > pali/palidd/#B

      • palistudent
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2012

          I am just catching up on reading my messages from the Pali list, and just now saw this message from you. Sorry - I am not very active on the list right now, but I do get around to reading all the messages in digest form eventually, and enjoy the activity here.

          I especially always enjoy your posts, Nina - so full of wisdom and kindness. What an extraordinary lady you are and a tremendous asset to the group over so many years!

          I was surprised to discover that my translation of the Gair Karunatillake has disappeared from the group's Files section. Don't know how that happened - I certainly didn't remove it. I will go and try to reload it now. And thank you for your kind words about the translation. I completed that eight years ago when I was first learning Pali. I wonder if I re-looked at it in detail whether I would translate everything the same way now. Possibly not.

          Warm wishes to you,
          John

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2012
            Dear Jon and friends,
            Thank you Jon, for your kind words and for the trouble uploading the
            file.
            Friends, also beginners, this is a good way to start reading Pali, it
            is trilineair and will make it easier for you. You can check the text
            word by word.
            Nina.
            Op 2-aug-2012, om 4:54 heeft palistudent het volgende geschreven:

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2012
              Dear John,
              I cannot open this file, and perhaps others may have trouble too. It
              depends on the computer.
              Nina.
              Op 2-aug-2012, om 4:54 heeft palistudent het volgende geschreven:

              > I was surprised to discover that my translation of the Gair
              > Karunatillake has disappeared from the group's Files section.

            • Randy Graves
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2, 2012
                I just uploaded that docx file in PDF format.

                Metta,
                Randy Graves
                Santa Barbara, CA

                On 8/2/2012 2:04 AM, Nina van Gorkom wrote:

                > Dear John,
                > I cannot open this file, and perhaps others may have trouble too. It
                > depends on the computer.
                > Nina.
                > Op 2-aug-2012, om 4:54 heeft palistudent het volgende geschreven:
                >
                > > I was surprised to discover that my translation of the Gair
                > > Karunatillake has disappeared from the group's Files section.

              • John Kelly
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 4, 2012
                  Thank you, Randy. My Docx file was created by Word for Mac, so not every computer can read it.
                  Meanwhile I converted my file to RTF format and sent that offline to Nina, which she is able to read. If list members think it would be useful to replace the Docx file with the RTF one in the Files section, I can do that.

                  With metta,
                  John