PTS Pali to PTS English

  • Sister Dipa
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2012
      I am guessing that there is an easy way to cross reference from Pali PTS Vinaya to English PTS Vinaya. Can anyone tell me a simple way to cross reference. I find something as a foot note in the pali Vinaya but then have trouble finding it in the English Vinaya PTS. Here is an example: Vol IV pg 176 of the Pali Vinaya PTS. at the top of the page there it is noted I. 1-2.3. That leads me to think it is referring to Vol I of the English but that is the wrong section. Please explain how to cross reference from Pali PTS to English PTS.

      with friendliness,
      Sister Dipa
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2012
        Dear Sis Dīpā

        The PTS Vinaya texts and translations are a bit tricky. But hopefully the
        following note from the Dharmafarer website (http://dharmafarer.org) will
        help. However, at the moment the server, we are informed, is down due to
        power outage. So please keep on trying.

        The website also 40 volumes of annotated Sutta translations and growing.

        With metta,

        Piya Tan

        *A. VINAYA PI**é**AKA (V or Vin), “The Basket of Discipline”*

        Pali edition. “The Vinaya Pi­akaµ”, ed. Hermann Oldenberg,
        London: Luzac for PTS, 1879-83, in 5 volumes. Accessible freely at
        http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/index.htm.

        Tr T W Rhys Davids & Herman Oldenberg: *Vinaya Texts* (V:RO),
        partial tr. SBE vol 13 (1 Pā imok­kha & Mv), 1881; vol 17 (2 Mv 5-10; Cv
        1-3), ; vol 20 (3 Cv 4-12), 1885. Oxford: The Clarendon Press, 1881-1885.
        Repr Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, 1965, 1982, 1984.

        Tr I B Horner: *The Book of the Discipline* (V:H), London: PTS,
        1938-66, 6 vols:

        1. *the Sutta Vibha**º**ga*, monastic code (PŒ­imokkha) for monks and for
        nuns, contained in the Sutta,­vibhaºga, together with a commentary on that;

        2. *the Khandhaka*, dealing with the regulation of communal life, which
        is contained in the MahŒ,vagga (Mv or V:mv) and Cula,vagga (Cv or V:cv).
        The MahŒvagga also contains some material on the life of the Buddha, etc;

        3. *the Pariv**Œ**ra*, which is an abstract of the whole of the
        Vinaya Pi­aka, in dialogue form.

        References are to volume and page number, eg Vin III 59 or V 3:59.

        Note that:

        — Vin I and II (MahŒ,vagga and Cula,vagga) are translated as The Book of
        the Discipline vols IV and V.

        –– Vin III, IV (Sutta,vibhaºga) are translated as The Book of the
        Discipline vols I, II and III.

        Also note that the translation, when it gives the Pali page
        number in the midst of the translation, gives it at the end of that page:
        eg [1] means p.1 *ends* here. In all other translations, however, it
        indicates where a page of the original *starts*.

        [*Study sample*: V 1:20 = V:H 4:28 f.]

        --
        *hp (65) 8211 0879*

        *The Minding Centre*
        170 Upper Bukit Timah Road
        #11-04 Bukit Timah Shopping Centre
        Singapore 588179

        Sutta translation: http://dharmafarer.org

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2012
          Dear Sister Dipa,
          Op 4-jul-2012, om 2:15 heeft Sister Dipa het volgende geschreven:

          > I am guessing that there is an easy way to cross reference from
          > Pali PTS Vinaya to English PTS Vinaya.

          -------
          N: I found out that the PTS English Vol IV, mahaavagga, is in Pali
          Vol I.
          Perhaps this helps?

          Nina.
        • Kumara Bhikkhu
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 10, 2012
            Nina van Gorkom wrote thus at 04:43 PM 04-07-12:
            >Dear Sister Dipa,
            >Op 4-jul-2012, om 2:15 heeft Sister Dipa het volgende geschreven:
            >
            >> I am guessing that there is an easy way to cross reference from
            >> Pali PTS Vinaya to English PTS Vinaya.
            >>
            >-------
            >N: I found out that the PTS English Vol IV, mahaavagga, is in Pali
            >Vol I.
            >Perhaps this helps?

            That's probably the biggest stumbling block for a beginner. Somehow, Oldenberg decided to start with the Mahavagga and Culavagga.

            peace

            Kumâra Bhikkhu

            Catch the news from Sasanarakkha Buddhist Sanctuary! To be informed of special activities in SBS and Dhamma teaching tours by SBS monks, join SBSmail:
            * OR send a blank mail to <mailto:sbsmail-subscribe@yahoogroups.com>sbsmail-subscribe@yahoogroups.com (If you don't have and don't want a Yahoo! ID, when you get the request for confirmation, just click reply and send off mail, with or without the body text.)