Re: B.Bodhi's Anguttara Nikāya coming in Sept., ebooks in Nov/Dec

    Message 1 of 7 , May 7, 2012
      Dear Frank and friends,

      can someone kindly explain how Kindle versions work for a person outside the United States and without a Kindle? I understand I can have Kindle reader app on iPad or even a normal computer/laptop. Thank you.

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, frank wrote:

      I emailed them to ask about the ebook versions, and those are targeted for Nov./Dec. release (compared with the cloth book's Sept. release).
    • frank
      Message 2 of 7 , May 7, 2012
        I don't know the answer to that. Your best bet would be to contact
        Amazon and inquire. All of my kindle media are free dhamma books
        currently, so I haven't had an occasion to test it out. In theory, you
        should be able to view all the kindle books you've purchased even if you
        don't have the kindle. Amazon keeps a copy of all your purchased kindle
        books on the cloud, and syncs all the bookmarks for the different kindle
        apps you happen to view it on.

        One important thing about AN for those of you who are considering
        the ebook version, I would wait to see the preview version of the ebook
        release (will be given to those customers who preorder the hard bound
        edition in sept. I think) to see how they set up the table of contents
        (TOC). MN (on a kindle touch) is pretty navigable. Swiping up and down
        screen motions advances through chapters one at a time, which in this
        case happens to a sutta. So to read any particular sutta, I believe
        worst case scenario, say you want to read mn 152, you have to page
        through about 5 pages of table of contents hyperlinks to get to the link
        for mn 152. So for MN, the kindle book is quite usable. For SN, the
        kindle version is pretty un-navigable. SN contains something like 3000+
        suttas right? That's a lot of table of contents hyperlinks for each
        sutta. The designers of the ebook and wisdom did not design a table of
        contents to be nested or hierarchical for easy navigation. For example
        if you want to jump to samyutta 56, you'll be flipping through page by
        single page for what feels like hundreds of pages of TOC before you get
        there.

        My hope is AN they do something different for the TOC (table of
        contents). If it's like SN, it will be essentially unusable. Basically
        only good for reading the book serially, one page at a time. Useless as
        a reference where you need to look up a particular sutta in mind. For
        example, if you want to jump to one of the suttas in Anguttara nines,
        you'll be flipping interminably through lots of pages of TOC before you
        get a hyperlink to it.

        -Frank

        On 5/7/2012 1:49 AM, Ong Yong Peng wrote:

        > Dear Frank and friends,
        >
        > can someone kindly explain how Kindle versions work for a person
        > outside the United States and without a Kindle? I understand I can
        > have Kindle reader app on iPad or even a normal computer/laptop. Thank
        > you.
        >
        > metta,
        > Yong Peng.
        >
        > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Pali%40yahoogroups.com>, frank wrote:
        >
        > I emailed them to ask about the ebook versions, and those are targeted
        > for Nov./Dec. release (compared with the cloth book's Sept. release).

      • SARAH CONNELL
        Message 3 of 7 , May 8, 2012
          I originally did not have a Kindle reader and so signed on to Amazon's Kindle
          for the PC. This allowed me to dowload books for Kindle from Amazon. Later I
          aquired a kindle reader which I use to do most of my reading of books. Some I
          have on my Kindle, some on my PC but they are all archived on their cloud so
          that I can pull up the book to read on my PC or if I want I can pull up the
          same book to read on my Kindle. I believe it works the same way for someone
          residing outside the USA.

          May you be well and happy and always smiling,

          Sarah Jane

          ________________________________
          I don't know the answer to that. Your best bet would be to contact
          Amazon and inquire. All of my kindle media are free dhamma books
          currently, so I haven't had an occasion to test it out. In theory, you
          should be able to view all the kindle books you've purchased even if you
          don't have the kindle. Amazon keeps a copy of all your purchased kindle
          books on the cloud, and syncs all the bookmarks for the different kindle
          apps you happen to view it on.

          One important thing about AN for those of you who are considering
          the ebook version, I would wait to see the preview version of the ebook
          release (will be given to those customers who preorder the hard bound
          edition in sept. I think) to see how they set up the table of contents
          (TOC). MN (on a kindle touch) is pretty navigable. Swiping up and down
          screen motions advances through chapters one at a time, which in this
          case happens to a sutta. So to read any particular sutta, I believe
          worst case scenario, say you want to read mn 152, you have to page
          through about 5 pages of table of contents hyperlinks to get to the link
          for mn 152. So for MN, the kindle book is quite usable. For SN, the
          kindle version is pretty un-navigable. SN contains something like 3000+
          suttas right? That's a lot of table of contents hyperlinks for each
          sutta. The designers of the ebook and wisdom did not design a table of
          contents to be nested or hierarchical for easy navigation. For example
          if you want to jump to samyutta 56, you'll be flipping through page by
          single page for what feels like hundreds of pages of TOC before you get
          there.

          My hope is AN they do something different for the TOC (table of
          contents). If it's like SN, it will be essentially unusable. Basically
          only good for reading the book serially, one page at a time. Useless as
          a reference where you need to look up a particular sutta in mind. For
          example, if you want to jump to one of the suttas in Anguttara nines,
          you'll be flipping interminably through lots of pages of TOC before you
          get a hyperlink to it.

          -Frank

          On 5/7/2012 1:49 AM, Ong Yong Peng wrote:

          > Dear Frank and friends,
          >
          > can someone kindly explain how Kindle versions work for a person
          > outside the United States and without a Kindle? I understand I can
          > have Kindle reader app on iPad or even a normal computer/laptop. Thank
          > you.
          >
          > metta,
          > Yong Peng.
          >
          > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Pali%40yahoogroups.com>, frank wrote:
          >
          > I emailed them to ask about the ebook versions, and those are targeted
          > for Nov./Dec. release (compared with the cloth book's Sept. release).

        • BkhPali
          Message 4 of 7 , May 12, 2012
            My understanding is that digital rights are sometimes restricted by
            country. Do you have an Amazon account already? If you do, you can just
            sign in and see if the book you want is available in the Kindle store.
            If it is, then you should be able to purchase it and download it for
            your computer.

            I think this help page may be a good place to start.
            http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-2?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200505470&qid=1336818403&sr=1-2

            The best global resource for information about e-books is the forum
            mobileread.com. Folks there seem to reply to questions very quickly.

            --
            readingfaithfully.org Daily Practice with the Suttas
            audtip.org Recordings from the Pali Canon