Re: Maatikaa/Maat.rkaa

  • thomaslaw03
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4, 2012
      Dear Nina,and Pali friends,

      Thank you very much for your reply, Nina.

      > " ... This mātikā has been arranged by way of triads and
      dyads. It is a survey of the contents of the first book and can even serve as an introduction to all seven books. ...">

      About your comments on maatikaa, Oskar von Hinuber in his book, A Handbook of Pali Literature, pp. 68-69, states thus:

      "Vibha.nga ... These maatikaas consist of very old lists, such as the five khandhas, the twelve aayatanas etc., which are frequently discussed in the Suttapi.taka. Thus, Vibh systematizes old material, and this text is considered to be the oldest in the Abhidhammapi.taka."

      Accordingly, it seems to me that the term maatikaa can be used not only for Abhidhammas (Abhidhama-maatikaa), but also for Suttapi.taka, i.e., Sutta-maatikaa, in the Pali tradition.

      Any objections, suggestions?

      Sincerely,

      Thomas Law

      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 2012
        Dear Thomas,
        Op 4-mei-2012, om 9:02 heeft thomaslaw03 het volgende geschreven:
        <Vibha.nga ... These maatikaas consist of very old lists, such as the
        five khandhas, the twelve aayatanas etc., which are frequently
        discussed in the Suttapi.taka. Thus, Vibh systematizes old material,
        and this text is considered to be the oldest in the Abhidhammapi.taka.">

        > Accordingly, it seems to me that the term maatikaa can be used not
        > only for Abhidhammas (Abhidhama-maatikaa), but also for
        > Suttapi.taka, i.e., Sutta-maatikaa, in the Pali tradition.
        >
        > -------
        N: The khandhas, dhaatus, aayatanas occur in the whole of the
        Tipitaka. I cannot think so much by way of older or oldest. I think
        that also the Vibhanga itself, and the whole tipitaka go back to the
        Great Councils where they were rehearsed.
        I rather look at the contents of the Matikaa and so I was again
        looking at the Matikaa of the Dhammasa"nga.ni and the first sentence is:

        kusala dhammaa, akusala dhammaa, avyaakataa dhammaa (indeterminate,
        like rupas,
        vipaaka and kiriya and also nibbaana).
        Here is summed up all that is real. Everything else like persons,
        tables are not real in the ultimate sense, they are pa~n ~natti we
        can think of but they do not have their own characteristics that can
        be directly experienced.

        In the text of the Dhsg itself, the beginning is: katame dhammaa
        kusalaa. Here are explained kusala citta and all sobhana cetasikas
        that can accompany it. Many details are given. It is worth while to
        read the Maatika first, it gives such a good summary of all that is
        real.