Maatikaa/Maat.rkaa

  • thomaslaw03
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 24, 2012
      Dear Nina, and Pali friends,

      Dr. Gethin in his book (The Buddhist Path to Awakening, p. 278) uses the term 'Maatikaa' to refer to the topics in all Pali Abhidhammas. As Nina indicated before that the term Maatikaa is shown in the Dhamma-sangani. Is the term Maatikaa also allowed to use in other Abhidhammas (and Suttas) in the Pali tradition?

      Thank you for your advice.

      Thomas Law
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2012
        Dear Thomas,
        Op 25-mrt-2012, om 1:58 heeft thomaslaw03 het volgende geschreven:

        > As Nina indicated before that the term Maatikaa is shown in the
        > Dhamma-sangani. Is the term Maatikaa also allowed to use in other
        > Abhidhammas (and Suttas) in the Pali tradition?
        ------
        N: As I wrote before:
        < The Dhammasaòganī begins with the Måtika, a table of contents or
        matrix, which is an introduction. It is more extensive than a table
        of contents. This mātikā has been arranged by way of triads and
        dyads. It is a survey of the contents of the first book and can even
        serve as an introduction to all seven books. Different groups of
        defilements have been listed, such as the intoxicants (āsavas),
        fetters, ties, floods, yokes, hindrances. >
        Thus, it is more than just a table of contents.
        Also in the Pa.tisambhidaamagga, the Path of Discrimination (Khuddaka
        NIkaaya) we find a matika (here translated as schedule) which gives
        the contents of each chapter.
        PED gives some info. maatikaa nikkhepa, putting down of a summary. In
        the Atthasaalini, the Summary Ch, nikkhepaa-ka.n.da.

      • thomaslaw03
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2012
          Dear Nina,and Pali friends,

          Thank you very much for your reply, Nina.

          > " ... This mātikā has been arranged by way of triads and
          dyads. It is a survey of the contents of the first book and can even serve as an introduction to all seven books. ...">

          About your comments on maatikaa, Oskar von Hinuber in his book, A Handbook of Pali Literature, pp. 68-69, states thus:

          "Vibha.nga ... These maatikaas consist of very old lists, such as the five khandhas, the twelve aayatanas etc., which are frequently discussed in the Suttapi.taka. Thus, Vibh systematizes old material, and this text is considered to be the oldest in the Abhidhammapi.taka."

          Accordingly, it seems to me that the term maatikaa can be used not only for Abhidhammas (Abhidhama-maatikaa), but also for Suttapi.taka, i.e., Sutta-maatikaa, in the Pali tradition.

          Any objections, suggestions?

          Sincerely,

          Thomas Law

          Message 4 of 4 , May 6, 2012
            Dear Thomas,
            Op 4-mei-2012, om 9:02 heeft thomaslaw03 het volgende geschreven:
            <Vibha.nga ... These maatikaas consist of very old lists, such as the
            five khandhas, the twelve aayatanas etc., which are frequently
            discussed in the Suttapi.taka. Thus, Vibh systematizes old material,
            and this text is considered to be the oldest in the Abhidhammapi.taka.">

            > Accordingly, it seems to me that the term maatikaa can be used not
            > only for Abhidhammas (Abhidhama-maatikaa), but also for
            > Suttapi.taka, i.e., Sutta-maatikaa, in the Pali tradition.
            >
            > -------
            N: The khandhas, dhaatus, aayatanas occur in the whole of the
            Tipitaka. I cannot think so much by way of older or oldest. I think
            that also the Vibhanga itself, and the whole tipitaka go back to the
            Great Councils where they were rehearsed.
            I rather look at the contents of the Matikaa and so I was again
            looking at the Matikaa of the Dhammasa"nga.ni and the first sentence is:

            kusala dhammaa, akusala dhammaa, avyaakataa dhammaa (indeterminate,
            like rupas,
            vipaaka and kiriya and also nibbaana).
            Here is summed up all that is real. Everything else like persons,
            tables are not real in the ultimate sense, they are pa~n ~natti we
            can think of but they do not have their own characteristics that can
            be directly experienced.

            In the text of the Dhsg itself, the beginning is: katame dhammaa
            kusalaa. Here are explained kusala citta and all sobhana cetasikas
            that can accompany it. Many details are given. It is worth while to
            read the Maatika first, it gives such a good summary of all that is
            real.