Re: B.Bodhi's Anguttara Nikāya coming in Sept., ebooks in Nov/Dec

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 20, 2012
      Dear Frank and all,

      sadhu! This is indeed welcoming news, and a new milestone and goalpost for all quarters of Pali and Tipitaka study.

      My heartfelt congratulations to Bhikkhu Bodhi and everyone behind the project.

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, frank wrote:

      You can preorder here:
      http://www.wisdompubs.org/Pages/display.lasso?-KeyValue=33160&-Token.Action=&image=1
    • Kumara Bhikkhu
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 20, 2012
        Yeah! At last! Thanks for informing.

        Btw, I'm told that the Mayans never said that. It's a misinterpretation.

        Message 3 of 7 , May 7 1:49 AM
          Dear Frank and friends,

          can someone kindly explain how Kindle versions work for a person outside the United States and without a Kindle? I understand I can have Kindle reader app on iPad or even a normal computer/laptop. Thank you.

          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, frank wrote:

          I emailed them to ask about the ebook versions, and those are targeted for Nov./Dec. release (compared with the cloth book's Sept. release).
        • frank
          Message 4 of 7 , May 7 6:43 PM
            I don't know the answer to that. Your best bet would be to contact
            Amazon and inquire. All of my kindle media are free dhamma books
            currently, so I haven't had an occasion to test it out. In theory, you
            should be able to view all the kindle books you've purchased even if you
            don't have the kindle. Amazon keeps a copy of all your purchased kindle
            books on the cloud, and syncs all the bookmarks for the different kindle
            apps you happen to view it on.

            One important thing about AN for those of you who are considering
            the ebook version, I would wait to see the preview version of the ebook
            release (will be given to those customers who preorder the hard bound
            edition in sept. I think) to see how they set up the table of contents
            (TOC). MN (on a kindle touch) is pretty navigable. Swiping up and down
            screen motions advances through chapters one at a time, which in this
            case happens to a sutta. So to read any particular sutta, I believe
            worst case scenario, say you want to read mn 152, you have to page
            through about 5 pages of table of contents hyperlinks to get to the link
            for mn 152. So for MN, the kindle book is quite usable. For SN, the
            kindle version is pretty un-navigable. SN contains something like 3000+
            suttas right? That's a lot of table of contents hyperlinks for each
            sutta. The designers of the ebook and wisdom did not design a table of
            contents to be nested or hierarchical for easy navigation. For example
            if you want to jump to samyutta 56, you'll be flipping through page by
            single page for what feels like hundreds of pages of TOC before you get
            there.

            My hope is AN they do something different for the TOC (table of
            contents). If it's like SN, it will be essentially unusable. Basically
            only good for reading the book serially, one page at a time. Useless as
            a reference where you need to look up a particular sutta in mind. For
            example, if you want to jump to one of the suttas in Anguttara nines,
            you'll be flipping interminably through lots of pages of TOC before you
            get a hyperlink to it.

            -Frank

            On 5/7/2012 1:49 AM, Ong Yong Peng wrote:

            > Dear Frank and friends,
            >
            > can someone kindly explain how Kindle versions work for a person
            > outside the United States and without a Kindle? I understand I can
            > have Kindle reader app on iPad or even a normal computer/laptop. Thank
            > you.
            >
            > metta,
            > Yong Peng.
            >
            > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Pali%40yahoogroups.com>, frank wrote:
            >
            > I emailed them to ask about the ebook versions, and those are targeted
            > for Nov./Dec. release (compared with the cloth book's Sept. release).

          • SARAH CONNELL
            Message 5 of 7 , May 8 8:15 AM
              I originally did not have a Kindle reader and so signed on to Amazon's Kindle
              for the PC. This allowed me to dowload books for Kindle from Amazon. Later I
              aquired a kindle reader which I use to do most of my reading of books. Some I
              have on my Kindle, some on my PC but they are all archived on their cloud so
              that I can pull up the book to read on my PC or if I want I can pull up the
              same book to read on my Kindle. I believe it works the same way for someone
              residing outside the USA.

              May you be well and happy and always smiling,

              Sarah Jane

              ________________________________
              I don't know the answer to that. Your best bet would be to contact
              Amazon and inquire. All of my kindle media are free dhamma books
              currently, so I haven't had an occasion to test it out. In theory, you
              should be able to view all the kindle books you've purchased even if you
              don't have the kindle. Amazon keeps a copy of all your purchased kindle
              books on the cloud, and syncs all the bookmarks for the different kindle
              apps you happen to view it on.

              One important thing about AN for those of you who are considering
              the ebook version, I would wait to see the preview version of the ebook
              release (will be given to those customers who preorder the hard bound
              edition in sept. I think) to see how they set up the table of contents
              (TOC). MN (on a kindle touch) is pretty navigable. Swiping up and down
              screen motions advances through chapters one at a time, which in this
              case happens to a sutta. So to read any particular sutta, I believe
              worst case scenario, say you want to read mn 152, you have to page
              through about 5 pages of table of contents hyperlinks to get to the link
              for mn 152. So for MN, the kindle book is quite usable. For SN, the
              kindle version is pretty un-navigable. SN contains something like 3000+
              suttas right? That's a lot of table of contents hyperlinks for each
              sutta. The designers of the ebook and wisdom did not design a table of
              contents to be nested or hierarchical for easy navigation. For example
              if you want to jump to samyutta 56, you'll be flipping through page by
              single page for what feels like hundreds of pages of TOC before you get
              there.

              My hope is AN they do something different for the TOC (table of
              contents). If it's like SN, it will be essentially unusable. Basically
              only good for reading the book serially, one page at a time. Useless as
              a reference where you need to look up a particular sutta in mind. For
              example, if you want to jump to one of the suttas in Anguttara nines,
              you'll be flipping interminably through lots of pages of TOC before you
              get a hyperlink to it.

              -Frank

              On 5/7/2012 1:49 AM, Ong Yong Peng wrote:

              > Dear Frank and friends,
              >
              > can someone kindly explain how Kindle versions work for a person
              > outside the United States and without a Kindle? I understand I can
              > have Kindle reader app on iPad or even a normal computer/laptop. Thank
              > you.
              >
              > metta,
              > Yong Peng.
              >
              > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Pali%40yahoogroups.com>, frank wrote:
              >
              > I emailed them to ask about the ebook versions, and those are targeted
              > for Nov./Dec. release (compared with the cloth book's Sept. release).

            • BkhPali
              Message 6 of 7 , May 12 3:31 AM
                My understanding is that digital rights are sometimes restricted by
                country. Do you have an Amazon account already? If you do, you can just
                sign in and see if the book you want is available in the Kindle store.
                If it is, then you should be able to purchase it and download it for
                your computer.

                I think this help page may be a good place to start.
                http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-2?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200505470&qid=1336818403&sr=1-2

                The best global resource for information about e-books is the forum
                mobileread.com. Folks there seem to reply to questions very quickly.

                --
                readingfaithfully.org Daily Practice with the Suttas
                audtip.org Recordings from the Pali Canon