B.Bodhi's Anguttara Nikāya coming in Sept., e books in Nov/Dec

  • frank
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 19, 2012
      You can preorder here:
      http://www.wisdompubs.org/Pages/display.lasso?-KeyValue=33160&-Token.Action=&image=1
      <http://www.wisdompubs.org/Pages/display.lasso?-KeyValue=33160&-Token.Action=&image=1>

      I emailed them to ask about the ebook versions, and those are targeted
      for Nov./Dec. release (compared with the cloth book's Sept. release).

      If the Mayans turn out to be correct and the world ends on December 20,
      2012, better to go with the cloth book. That gives you about 3 months to
      read it instead of less than 4 weeks (for ebook).

      -Frank

      >>> Dear Wisdompub,
      >>> Will kindle and .epub verisons of the new Anguttara Nikaya be
      >>> available as the same time as the book, or better yet sooner?
      >>>
      >>> Second related question, where can I shop for .epub and kindle
      >>> versions of B.Bodhi's books? I know the Amazon kindle store as the
      >>> kindle versions, but didn't see anything under wisdom's website for
      >>> ebooks.

      They replied:
      Thanks for your inquiry. ebook version of Anguttara Nikaya will probably
      be available in November/December. All other ebook version of Bikkhu
      Bodhi's books are available from Amazon.com and other ebook retailers.
      Not from our website.

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 20, 2012
        Dear Frank and all,

        sadhu! This is indeed welcoming news, and a new milestone and goalpost for all quarters of Pali and Tipitaka study.

        My heartfelt congratulations to Bhikkhu Bodhi and everyone behind the project.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, frank wrote:

        You can preorder here:
        http://www.wisdompubs.org/Pages/display.lasso?-KeyValue=33160&-Token.Action=&image=1
      • Kumara Bhikkhu
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 20, 2012
          Yeah! At last! Thanks for informing.

          Btw, I'm told that the Mayans never said that. It's a misinterpretation.

          Message 4 of 7 , May 7, 2012
            Dear Frank and friends,

            can someone kindly explain how Kindle versions work for a person outside the United States and without a Kindle? I understand I can have Kindle reader app on iPad or even a normal computer/laptop. Thank you.

            Message 5 of 7 , May 7, 2012
              I don't know the answer to that. Your best bet would be to contact
              Amazon and inquire. All of my kindle media are free dhamma books
              currently, so I haven't had an occasion to test it out. In theory, you
              should be able to view all the kindle books you've purchased even if you
              don't have the kindle. Amazon keeps a copy of all your purchased kindle
              books on the cloud, and syncs all the bookmarks for the different kindle
              apps you happen to view it on.

              One important thing about AN for those of you who are considering
              the ebook version, I would wait to see the preview version of the ebook
              release (will be given to those customers who preorder the hard bound
              edition in sept. I think) to see how they set up the table of contents
              (TOC). MN (on a kindle touch) is pretty navigable. Swiping up and down
              screen motions advances through chapters one at a time, which in this
              case happens to a sutta. So to read any particular sutta, I believe
              worst case scenario, say you want to read mn 152, you have to page
              through about 5 pages of table of contents hyperlinks to get to the link
              for mn 152. So for MN, the kindle book is quite usable. For SN, the
              kindle version is pretty un-navigable. SN contains something like 3000+
              suttas right? That's a lot of table of contents hyperlinks for each
              sutta. The designers of the ebook and wisdom did not design a table of
              contents to be nested or hierarchical for easy navigation. For example
              if you want to jump to samyutta 56, you'll be flipping through page by
              single page for what feels like hundreds of pages of TOC before you get
              there.

              My hope is AN they do something different for the TOC (table of
              contents). If it's like SN, it will be essentially unusable. Basically
              only good for reading the book serially, one page at a time. Useless as
              a reference where you need to look up a particular sutta in mind. For
              example, if you want to jump to one of the suttas in Anguttara nines,
              you'll be flipping interminably through lots of pages of TOC before you
              get a hyperlink to it.

              -Frank

              On 5/7/2012 1:49 AM, Ong Yong Peng wrote:

              > Dear Frank and friends,
              >
              > can someone kindly explain how Kindle versions work for a person
              > outside the United States and without a Kindle? I understand I can
              > have Kindle reader app on iPad or even a normal computer/laptop. Thank
              > you.
              >
              > metta,
              > Yong Peng.
              >
              > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Pali%40yahoogroups.com>, frank wrote:
              >
              > I emailed them to ask about the ebook versions, and those are targeted
              > for Nov./Dec. release (compared with the cloth book's Sept. release).

            • SARAH CONNELL
              Message 6 of 7 , May 8, 2012
                I originally did not have a Kindle reader and so signed on to Amazon's Kindle
                for the PC. This allowed me to dowload books for Kindle from Amazon. Later I
                aquired a kindle reader which I use to do most of my reading of books. Some I
                have on my Kindle, some on my PC but they are all archived on their cloud so
                that I can pull up the book to read on my PC or if I want I can pull up the
                same book to read on my Kindle. I believe it works the same way for someone
                residing outside the USA.

                May you be well and happy and always smiling,

                Sarah Jane

                ________________________________
                I don't know the answer to that. Your best bet would be to contact
                Amazon and inquire. All of my kindle media are free dhamma books
                currently, so I haven't had an occasion to test it out. In theory, you
                should be able to view all the kindle books you've purchased even if you
                don't have the kindle. Amazon keeps a copy of all your purchased kindle
                books on the cloud, and syncs all the bookmarks for the different kindle
                apps you happen to view it on.

                One important thing about AN for those of you who are considering
                the ebook version, I would wait to see the preview version of the ebook
                release (will be given to those customers who preorder the hard bound
                edition in sept. I think) to see how they set up the table of contents
                (TOC). MN (on a kindle touch) is pretty navigable. Swiping up and down
                screen motions advances through chapters one at a time, which in this
                case happens to a sutta. So to read any particular sutta, I believe
                worst case scenario, say you want to read mn 152, you have to page
                through about 5 pages of table of contents hyperlinks to get to the link
                for mn 152. So for MN, the kindle book is quite usable. For SN, the
                kindle version is pretty un-navigable. SN contains something like 3000+
                suttas right? That's a lot of table of contents hyperlinks for each
                sutta. The designers of the ebook and wisdom did not design a table of
                contents to be nested or hierarchical for easy navigation. For example
                if you want to jump to samyutta 56, you'll be flipping through page by
                single page for what feels like hundreds of pages of TOC before you get
                there.

                My hope is AN they do something different for the TOC (table of
                contents). If it's like SN, it will be essentially unusable. Basically
                only good for reading the book serially, one page at a time. Useless as
                a reference where you need to look up a particular sutta in mind. For
                example, if you want to jump to one of the suttas in Anguttara nines,
                you'll be flipping interminably through lots of pages of TOC before you
                get a hyperlink to it.

                -Frank

                On 5/7/2012 1:49 AM, Ong Yong Peng wrote:

                > Dear Frank and friends,
                >
                > can someone kindly explain how Kindle versions work for a person
                > outside the United States and without a Kindle? I understand I can
                > have Kindle reader app on iPad or even a normal computer/laptop. Thank
                > you.
                >
                > metta,
                > Yong Peng.
                >
                > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Pali%40yahoogroups.com>, frank wrote:
                >
                > I emailed them to ask about the ebook versions, and those are targeted
                > for Nov./Dec. release (compared with the cloth book's Sept. release).

              • BkhPali
                Message 7 of 7 , May 12, 2012
                  My understanding is that digital rights are sometimes restricted by
                  country. Do you have an Amazon account already? If you do, you can just
                  sign in and see if the book you want is available in the Kindle store.
                  If it is, then you should be able to purchase it and download it for
                  your computer.

                  I think this help page may be a good place to start.
                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-2?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200505470&qid=1336818403&sr=1-2

                  The best global resource for information about e-books is the forum
                  mobileread.com. Folks there seem to reply to questions very quickly.

                  --
                  readingfaithfully.org Daily Practice with the Suttas
                  audtip.org Recordings from the Pali Canon