Re: [Pali] Pali Translation needed for Abhidhamma Pitaka-Puggala Pannati Atthakatha

  • Mahinda Palihawadana
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 28, 2012
      I would suggest the following translation for the passage quoted:
      "AS regards explaining (the term) pannaa-vimutta: p.v. means one who
      is liberated by means of insight (pannaa). He (the type of person so
      designated) is fivefold, (namely) the "Bare Insight" person and the
      four who have attained (pattaa: PPP nom. pl.) arahantship on emerging
      from the four jhaanas. None among them is an attainer of the eight
      liberations. Hence indeed (the text) says "aTTha vimokkhe" etc. When
      (here almost the same as 'if') one of the four formless jhaanas is
      present (= has been attained), (the attainer of it) is called
      "liberated in both ways".

      Mahinda
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 28, 2012
        Dear Mahinda,
        thank you for your clear translation,
        much appreciated,
        Nina.
        Op 28-mrt-2012, om 16:59 heeft Mahinda Palihawadana het volgende
        geschreven:

        > Dear friends,
        > I would suggest the following translation for the passage quoted:
        > "AS regards explaining (the term) pannaa-vimutta: p.v. means one who
        > is liberated by means of insight (pannaa). He (the type of person so
        > designated) is fivefold, (namely) the "Bare Insight" person and the
        > four who have attained (pattaa: PPP nom. pl.) arahantship on emerging
        > from the four jhaanas. None among them is an attainer of the eight
        > liberations. Hence indeed (the text) says "aTTha vimokkhe" etc. When
        > (here almost the same as 'if') one of the four formless jhaanas is
        > present (= has been attained), (the attainer of it) is called
        > "liberated in both ways".
        >
        > Mahinda

      • Bryan Levman
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 28, 2012
          Dear Mahinda and Nina,

          Thanks very much for your explanations; I understand it now,

          Metta, Bryan