Re: [Pali] Pali Translation needed for Abhidhamma Pitaka-Puggala Pannati Atthakatha

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 28 6:31 AM
      Dear Bryan,

      Op 28-mrt-2012, om 13:51 heeft Bryan Levman het volgende geschreven:

      > Dear Nina,
      >
      > >The person who has developed dry insight (N: without jhaanas) and
      > >four who has emerged from the four jhaanas have reached arahatship,
      > >this is fivefold.
      >
      > I am reading vu.t.thaaya as a gerund and pattaa, as ablative of the
      > past participle:
      > The one who is “dry-visioned”, having emerged from the four
      > jhānas,
      > because of having attained the state of arhat, is fourfold and even
      > fivefold.
      > Grammatically, I think the subject of sukkhavipassako,
      > vu.t.thaaya, pattaa, and hoti must all be the same.
      > However, if dry-visioned means "without the jhaanas," then this
      > doesn't make sense, unless vu.t.thaaya is
      > being used in the sense of "not doing."

      -------
      N: Without the explanations as read in Ven. Henepola's book, I would
      not understand this passage. But, as we can also find in the Co, of
      those who are pa~n~na vimutta, one is dryvisioned, and four have
      developed ruupa-jhaana. Thus, we have this: <So sukkhavipassako
      catuuhi jhaanehi vu.t.thaaya arahatta.m pattaa
      > cattaaro caati pa~ncavidho hoti.>: caati, ca, meaning 'and'. One
      sukkhavipassako and four having emerged from jhaana and attained
      arahatship, thus, there are five.
      -------

      > B: I'm assuming "fourfold and even fivefold" refers
      > to the next sentence: "four or fivefold liberated" as opposed to
      > eightfold liberated.

      --------
      N: Pa~n~naa vimutta: five different persons. Indeed, these five are
      different from the eightfold liberated.

    • Mahinda Palihawadana
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 28 7:59 AM
        I would suggest the following translation for the passage quoted:
        "AS regards explaining (the term) pannaa-vimutta: p.v. means one who
        is liberated by means of insight (pannaa). He (the type of person so
        designated) is fivefold, (namely) the "Bare Insight" person and the
        four who have attained (pattaa: PPP nom. pl.) arahantship on emerging
        from the four jhaanas. None among them is an attainer of the eight
        liberations. Hence indeed (the text) says "aTTha vimokkhe" etc. When
        (here almost the same as 'if') one of the four formless jhaanas is
        present (= has been attained), (the attainer of it) is called
        "liberated in both ways".

        Mahinda
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 28 12:07 PM
          Dear Mahinda,
          thank you for your clear translation,
          much appreciated,
          Nina.
          Op 28-mrt-2012, om 16:59 heeft Mahinda Palihawadana het volgende
          geschreven:

          > Dear friends,
          > I would suggest the following translation for the passage quoted:
          > "AS regards explaining (the term) pannaa-vimutta: p.v. means one who
          > is liberated by means of insight (pannaa). He (the type of person so
          > designated) is fivefold, (namely) the "Bare Insight" person and the
          > four who have attained (pattaa: PPP nom. pl.) arahantship on emerging
          > from the four jhaanas. None among them is an attainer of the eight
          > liberations. Hence indeed (the text) says "aTTha vimokkhe" etc. When
          > (here almost the same as 'if') one of the four formless jhaanas is
          > present (= has been attained), (the attainer of it) is called
          > "liberated in both ways".
          >
          > Mahinda

        • Bryan Levman
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 28 3:09 PM
            Dear Mahinda and Nina,

            Thanks very much for your explanations; I understand it now,

            Metta, Bryan